starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibre Supplements

Default Fibre Supplements

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've searched and gone through the last 7 pages of your forum and my laptop battery is about to die.

Which one of these would you chose? http://www.myprotein.com/our-range/b...ers/fibre.list

I've got IBS so I want a fibre that's going to help keep things moving nicely.

Thanks Jordan

I like Psyllium Husk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    I've searched and gone through the last 7 pages of your forum and my laptop battery is about to die.

Which one of these would you chose? http://www.myprotein.com/our-range/b...ers/fibre.list

I've got IBS so I want a fibre that's going to help keep things moving nicely.
    I've had GI issues since my mid-twenties (over 20 years), finally got rid of them a couple of years ago in large part by eliminating gluten. Aside, how I discovered that was I went on a VLC diet with a "cheat day" on the weekend, usually w/ pizza as the main meal, and invariably by mid-week of the following week I'd have the symptoms return for a day or so. I finally tied that back to the pizza (yep, several days would elapse; made it alot tougher to pick up the pattern), and from there specifically the gluten in the pizza through the process of elimination. I'm not VLC anymore but still gluten restricted. That took care of about 80% of the problem; most of the rest was helped by soluble fiber / prebiotics, usually in the form of Inulin FOS, but arabinogalactan worked well also if FOS causes you problems on it's own. Note that there may be an adjustment period once you start using a soluble fiber.

Since I started SS and supplementing whey protein w/ milk, I've stopped the dedicated soluble fiber supps as whey (and/or milk) can act as somewhat of a prebiotic also, apparently (and that's been my experience as well): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2312674. No problems keeping things moving normally (at the least) w/ either soluble fiber supps. or whey/milk. Oh and a decent broad spectrum digestive enzyme helped out early on also, but I don't need those anymore either.

If you're skeptical about grains/gluten being a problem (and maybe in the end rightly so in your particular case), consider picking up the book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis. It does seem full of hyperbole but it's an easy read and there is some good stuff in there, or at least fodder for additional research.

Good luck, hope this gives you some ideas.

consider picking up the book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis
    You liked this book?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I like Psyllium Husk.
    I've never had a problem with psyllium husk although a sibling who had GI issues did but has been fine with unmodified potato starch (which is 80% resistant starch). I've no idea if that would be contraindicated for anyone.

You liked this book?
    Heheh, I actually hesitated adding that but yes I liked the book as much for the history of wheat and how it's changed genetically and w.r.t. protein content, etc., and it served as a catalyst to me restricting gluten which helped me out in a number of ways (not only related to gut health but maybe general metabolic health too).

I don't know about the quality/presentation of the science in there - I'm guessing probably not all that great - but I picked up some info. from there that ultimately did help me out of a predicament that reads a lot like the OP is having problems with.

I like Psyllium Husk.
    Nice one, thanks. Went with the Gum in the end as it says something in the description about helping IBS symptoms.

I will give your suggestion a try next time.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    I've had GI issues since my mid-twenties (over 20 years), finally got rid of them a couple of years ago in large part by eliminating gluten. Aside, how I discovered that was I went on a VLC diet with a "cheat day" on the weekend, usually w/ pizza as the main meal, and invariably by mid-week of the following week I'd have the symptoms return for a day or so. I finally tied that back to the pizza (yep, several days would elapse; made it alot tougher to pick up the pattern), and from there specifically the gluten in the pizza through the process of elimination. I'm not VLC anymore but still gluten restricted. That took care of about 80% of the problem; most of the rest was helped by soluble fiber / prebiotics, usually in the form of Inulin FOS, but arabinogalactan worked well also if FOS causes you problems on it's own. Note that there may be an adjustment period once you start using a soluble fiber.

Since I started SS and supplementing whey protein w/ milk, I've stopped the dedicated soluble fiber supps as whey (and/or milk) can act as somewhat of a prebiotic also, apparently (and that's been my experience as well): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2312674. No problems keeping things moving normally (at the least) w/ either soluble fiber supps. or whey/milk. Oh and a decent broad spectrum digestive enzyme helped out early on also, but I don't need those anymore either.

If you're skeptical about grains/gluten being a problem (and maybe in the end rightly so in your particular case), consider picking up the book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis. It does seem full of hyperbole but it's an easy read and there is some good stuff in there, or at least fodder for additional research.

Good luck, hope this gives you some ideas.
    Thanks Dave. Will check out the book too, nice one.

You liked this book?
    Like Jordan, I've avoided this book, however there are some blinded RCT trials that are starting to support the notion that there are people without frank celiac disease who nonetheless suffer GI motility consequences from eating gluten. It's not hard and firm but the data are suggestive.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    Heheh, I actually hesitated adding that but yes I liked the book as much for the history of wheat and how it's changed genetically and w.r.t. protein content, etc., and it served as a catalyst to me restricting gluten which helped me out in a number of ways (not only related to gut health but maybe general metabolic health too).

I don't know about the quality/presentation of the science in there - I'm guessing probably not all that great - but I picked up some info. from there that ultimately did help me out of a predicament that reads a lot like the OP is having problems with.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Like Jordan, I've avoided this book, however there are some blinded RCT trials that are starting to support the notion that there are people without frank celiac disease who nonetheless suffer GI motility consequences from eating gluten. It's not hard and firm but the data are suggestive.
    I've read the book. Davis makes some interesting connections, some of which are scientifically valid and others that are sensationalism. The mechanism for gluten doing stuff to the gut, both on a cellular inflammation and neurotransmitter release modulator is pretty well-established. I'm all for cutting out gluten if it messes with you. If it doesn't, meh, don't care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast