starting strength gym

Thread: Macros Help

Default Macros Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

Thanks for looking at this mass of info! I've gotten some great results the past few weeks following your Fluffy guidelines from the Beast article at your thefitcoach.com site.

37, male, 6' 2", 279, and est. BF at 35%+ (never had it measured)

· Current program (work-set weights and conditioning, if applicable)
    Mon: Squats: 300x3x5
    BP: 200x3x5
    DL: 330x5

Wed: L SQ: 235x3x5
    P: 140x3x5
    Chins: 5-5-5 with 80 lbs assistance

Fri: SQ: 305x3x5
    BP: 205x3x5
    P Snatch: 85x3x5 (just started these last week)

Sat: Some type of conditioning. Last two weeks have been LISS because of planned activities. If no active plans usually do HIIT on rower.

· Current calorie and macro total

My average macros over the last 17 days are: 318/348/149. My macros goal for this time period was 340/340/150. These macros are driving recovery very well.

5am: 60/89/8 shake, 60g ON P, 35g ON glyco-maize, 54g oats if no WO, 5g Creatine
    4-5g Vit D, 3g Fish oil, 1 multi-vitamin
    7am: BCAA and Emergen-C
    9am: 60/10/6 shake, 60g ON P
    12p: Lunch, normally 8-12oz chicken, beef, or pork; 2 cups rice or potatoes, and veggies
    4p: Pre WO: BCAAs, 2g Beta-A, 5g Creatine
    No WO: 60/10/6 shake
    6p: Post WO: 60/89/8 shake, 60g ON P, 35g ON glyco-maize, 54g oats, 5 g Creatine
    8p: 8-12oz chicken, beef, or pork; 2 cups rice or potatoes, and veggies (if WO day, usually titrate carbs here)

I am still enjoying the fruits of my second run on LP. I would like to aim at recomp. My weight went from 274 to 278 in the first four days of following the macros and diet outlined above. Since then, it has fluctuated from 276 to 280, but mostly in the 277-278 range.

My questions:

Is it too early to start tweaking my macros?

When I do tweak them, I am thinking I should aim for 310/340/145 for a few weeks. Is this reasonable? I do not want to sacrifice my gainz.

What are your general recommendations for improvements? I know the shakes are not optimal, but it is what I have time for (up at 5, out of the house by 5:15, next shake at my desk, yada yada yada).

Thanks for your time,

Joe

Is it too early to start tweaking my macros?
    Depends on how what your weight has done over the past 17 days. If it's me though, I'd just bring protein down to 300 and call it good for 1-2 weeks. Then start adjusting carbs and fat.

When I do tweak them, I am thinking I should aim for 310/340/145 for a few weeks. Is this reasonable? I do not want to sacrifice my gainz.
    See above. You'll be fine.

What are your general recommendations for improvements? I know the shakes are not optimal, but it is what I have time for (up at 5, out of the house by 5:15, next shake at my desk, yada yada yada).
    Why do you think shakes aren't optimal? I could make a pretty strong argument for them being > whole food for a variety of reasons....The diet looks fine, but I'd put in more veggies/fruit.

Depends on how what your weight has done over the past 17 days. If it's me though, I'd just bring protein down to 300 and call it good for 1-2 weeks. Then start adjusting carbs and fat.
    My weight jumped to 278 within four days of starting this plan. Since then it has fluctuated. On WO days I seem to be at 279-280, on non-WO days around 276-277. I will eliminate the extra half-scoop of protein from each shake after my first one, which should eliminate 24g of P daily, getting my actual P intake to around 294-300. Then in two weeks, evaluate C and F.

Why do you think shakes aren't optimal? I could make a pretty strong argument for them being > whole food for a variety of reasons....The diet looks fine, but I'd put in more veggies/fruit.
    That is great to hear. Shakes definitely make compliance easier. I thought I had seen in other threads a recommendation to get as much of your macros as possible from whole foods.

Are the veggies and fruit for fiber? That is one area I have not really looked at.

That is great to hear. Shakes definitely make compliance easier. I thought I had seen in other threads a recommendation to get as much of your macros as possible from whole foods.

Are the veggies and fruit for fiber? That is one area I have not really looked at.
    I do like whole foods, but do not pretend to act like they're necessary 100% of the time. Yes to the fiber + antioxidants, nutrients, good ju ju.