starting strength gym

Thread: The "During" Workout Shake

Default The "During" Workout Shake

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've seen a lot of threads on the pre/post workout shakes, but nothing really on the "during" workout shakes. I try to eat 2 hours before my workout (cup of greek yogurt + 1/2 cup oatmeal + honey) and then drink 3 cups of Lactaid milk during my actual workout (39 g carbs/27 g protein).

This is something I've been doing for a couple years now, and haven't really seen much about it - I think I read Layne Norton mention drinking shakes during the workout, but heard he changed his mind on this.

The lactaid seems to be great (to me) because the lactose is broken up into simple sugars from the lactase enzyme, so the simple sugars plus the protein make it perfect for a workout. (I'm also lactose intolerant to it works out).

Any thoughts on drinking shakes during a workout? Is there any literature on the matter or is it more of a preference thing?

Any thoughts on drinking shakes during a workout? Is there any literature on the matter or is it more of a preference thing?
    There's a bunch of literature on it, but once you correct for all the variables there appears to be no benefit and, in fact, perhaps a detriment to some protein signaling. At any rate, outside of personal preference for it, I don't recommend it unless you're having marathon training sessions or don't care about optimal muscle growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    There's a bunch of literature on it, but once you correct for all the variables there appears to be no benefit and, in fact, perhaps a detriment to some protein signaling. At any rate, outside of personal preference for it, I don't recommend it unless you're having marathon training sessions or don't care about optimal muscle growth.
    meal 2 hrs before and shake post workout is optimal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    meal 2 hrs before and shake post workout is optimal?
    Depends on if you like working out on a full-ish or empty stomach. I like being "kinda hungry" and thus, like to eat 2hours pre training. Sometimes I'll have a quest bar on the way into the gym just to give me something though.

I normally eat 2 hours prior but yesterday in the middle of my long for me squat session I felt a little "hollow" in my belly. I made a quick waxy maize in water mix and felt fine for the rest of the volume work. This is not typical but my gym is in my garage and i was getting hungry during the work..easy. it was a good thing as this was a +2 hour session. I hate/love that session.