starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question in regards to novice measured from "To Be A Beast"

Default Question in regards to novice measured from "To Be A Beast"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey there Jordan,

So I have read the article To Be A Beast and figured I am right around the region of the novice measured. I have been doing the program for 8 weeks now and am 5'9" I started at 150lbs and have increased to 172 and went from 14% to 20% BF. I test myself with a caliper so I am not 100% on the accuracy but I do a 9-point test so I am hoping I am not too far off. I did not do the GOMAD in the beginning and was only eating a 500 caloric surplus (roughly 2800-300 total) then I read "To Be A Beast" and bumped it up to 4000 calories and aiming for 350/350/130. I started this about 3 maybe 4 weeks ago.

My question is, Should I still be following this macro goal? And why is the protein level so high? I have read that 1.2-1.5g/LB is optimal and also ran across one of your videos from your youtube channel where you discussed that those numbers were optimal and anything over 250 really is not completely necessary. Are these rules different during the SS program for a novice?

Thanks in advance for any input. Appreciate it.

My question is, Should I still be following this macro goal?
    If it doesn't mess with your compliance, take 150g of protein and shift it to carbs.

And why is the protein level so high?
    Mainly for simplicity and getting people used to eating a bunch of food that they need to put on size. It's not necessary or optimal, but getting enough cals in is a greater concern of mine than protein optimization for someone in your demographic.

OK that makes sense. I am trying to plan how I would get 500g of carbs in within a day and it seems quite unlikely lol. Will I notice any benefits from shifting the 150g to carbs in means of energy?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post
    OK that makes sense. I am trying to plan how I would get 500g of carbs in within a day and it seems quite unlikely lol. Will I notice any benefits from shifting the 150g to carbs in means of energy?
    2 words. Fro- YO

You'll get all the gainzzzz with that.

Lol alright thanks for the input man. Fro-yo it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Mainly for simplicity and getting people used to eating a bunch of food that they need to put on size. It's not necessary or optimal, but getting enough cals in is a greater concern of mine than protein optimization for someone in your demographic.
    Aha! I knew it! Actually i didn't know it; i always wondered why you recommend these (to me) eye popping protein levels. Since i only read the Nutrition board rarely (compared to its volume) i figured it was explained somewhere and i missed it.

Your unofficial disciple, who thinks a cow spirit will make him strong (<- joke), has suggesting i'm pushing anorexia just for saying 1g/lb LBM (or bw) is close enough for government work.

(note: i don't really have anything serious against a lot of protein. For me i end up peeing a lot and after some level of intake. It also seems like an unnecessary hassle to do day in and day out, but i make no claims of "optimality" )

I guess I just haven't seen anyone eat too much protein everyday for a substantial period of time without getting good results. *shrugs*

Alright so I decided to try and put together a meal plan for myself to get those carbs, here is what I came up with

Breakfast
    3 eggs
    2 egg whites
    1 cup grape nuts
    1 cup milk 52/100/22

Pre-Workout
    2 scoops whey
    1/2 cup oats
    2 cups cooked white rice
    1 cup milk 46/128/7

Post Workout
    5 OZ chicken
    2 cups cooked rice
    1 cup broccoli
    2 tbsp yoshidas 45/122/2

Lunch
    1 scoop whey
    1 bagel
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    Banana 41/87/32

Dinner
    Turkey Patty
    2 cups sweet potato
    1 cup milk
    30 almonds 57/98/31

Before Bed Snack
    2 tbsp peanut butter 8/6/17

Calories :4150
    Total Macro Split 249/541/111

Is there anything else I can better here?

Lunch should have 4tbsp of peanut butter, add some protein (10-15g from a good source) with your before bed snack. Profit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Your unofficial disciple, who thinks a cow spirit will make him strong (<- joke), has suggesting i'm pushing anorexia just for saying 1g/lb LBM (or bw) is close enough for government work.
    I knew it. You're an Abercrombie model, aren't you?

I'm pretty sure I never said or implied that 1g/lb. body weight is borderline anorexic or anything to that effect. Depends on the person, and to a lesser extent their protein sources.

IIRC, our argument a while back was about total intake, not specifically protein, and that I probably did recommend higher than 1g/lb. body weight for pro, but this was for some kid stalling on SS with like a 200 lb. squat eating 100g protein a day. If I'm wrong on the details, I have no doubt you'll find the quotes to correct me.

FWIW, I eat 220g at 5'11/185, and I'm desperately trying (without much success) to gain weight. I'll keep it there until I get to my target of 205. Then - as my unofficial mentor would say - I'll reassess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast