starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: body-fat measurement tools

Default body-fat measurement tools

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    http://blog.sethroberts.net/2013/08/...ttent-fasting/

Intermittent fasting, meh. But the side-point about measurement methods was interesting:

The BodyMetrix data and the weight data (237–>231) confirm each other. He also used an Omron measurement device that uses impedence to measure body fat. You hold it in your hands. Its data were too noisy to conclude anything.
    Summary: omron=useless, bodymetrix=overpriced calipers

I don't find body fat measurements of any kind particularly useful, if I'm being honest.

Do you think bodyweight chins, beyond the rank novice stage, are a good indicator of whether bodyfat is being gained or lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I don't find body fat measurements of any kind particularly useful, if I'm being honest.
    Is that b/c they are inaccurate, or b/c there's too much variability in what constitutes "the optimal" between people (e.g.: two guys, 12% might be best for strength gains in one individual, 18% in the other).

How about for trending? For example, even if the measurement of a given BIA scale was wrong in real terms but still consistent in relative terms, would it be useful to use over a period of time to see if you're headed in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    how do you feel if you're lying?
    That you should go ahead and get that bod pod or dexa measurement and I get the kickback from the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Do you think bodyweight chins, beyond the rank novice stage, are a good indicator of whether bodyfat is being gained or lost?
    Sometimes, except when it doesn't. Strength, technique, fatigue, etc. all confound this metric.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    Is that b/c they are inaccurate, or b/c there's too much variability in what constitutes "the optimal" between people (e.g.: two guys, 12% might be best for strength gains in one individual, 18% in the other).

How about for trending? For example, even if the measurement of a given BIA scale was wrong in real terms but still consistent in relative terms, would it be useful to use over a period of time to see if you're headed in the right direction?
    Yes to all, but trending is only useful if it's either consistently accurate or inaccurate. The BIA scale is inaccurate but not consistently so, therefore it's not very useful IMO.

Personally, I work off of the, "Do I sweat when I eat?" and, "If I have to carry 100 pounds of gear up a couple km slope, how much harder is it going to be if I finish eating this cake" approach. It's not a linear scale, and there's a couple discrepancies here and there, but it's worked pretty well so far.

I was really hoping BIA would at least be consistently inaccurate, but it hasn't appeared to be the case. I started Starting Strength 3 weeks ago, at 3100 cals a day, 175.4lbs 18.4% BF. 3 weeks later, 177.5lbs and 20.4% BF....so I gained 2lbs? All Body Fat? While Squatting three days a week? I sure hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    I was really hoping BIA would at least be consistently inaccurate, but it hasn't appeared to be the case. I started Starting Strength 3 weeks ago, at 3100 cals a day, 175.4lbs 18.4% BF. 3 weeks later, 177.5lbs and 20.4% BF....so I gained 2lbs? All Body Fat? While Squatting three days a week? I sure hope not.
    On my scale, it can swing 4% or more in 12 hrs. The advice is always to compare measurements from the same part of your day, like after getting out of bed and urinating.

My particular BIA scale was suppose to be one of the best when I bought it (well, according to the interwebz anyhow) but I noticed right away that the age or height I entered could change the BF% reading quite a bit. So not only can they be affected by things like skin moisture or electrolyte status but skewed by the algorithms used to estimate BF%. I happened to get checked on another BIA scale once a week after I bought the home model of the same brand and I shit you not there was always a really large relative difference like 16 on one, 24 on another, with the same inputs and taken about 1/2 hr apart. I wouldn't spend the money on another one if I had to do it over again.

I tend to like waist measurements. Generally if your waist is consistently getting larger you're probably getting fatter.

Using calipers and just seeing if the #s go up/down is also a decent way to track progress even if it isn't telling you a good absolute #.

starting strength coach development program
    Using calipers and just seeing if the #s go up/down is also a decent way to track progress even if it isn't telling you a good absolute #.
    I guess my biggest thing is what's the point? The mirror tells the real story IMO and doesn't take a lot of time, effort, or money (if you have to pay someone to do it).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast