starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig's Training Log

Default Craig's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 32, 5'9", 205lbs

I've lifted on and off since high school, but never with a long-term view/goal. I'm not entirely untrained (rugby season just finished), but I'm going to start with the SS novice program and see how long I can ride it out. Realized that getting stronger makes life and sport easier, and that I should follow the program as described, instead of just using the book as a form guide.

Tested yesterday to establish starting weights (all weights in pounds).
    Squat: 175
    Bench: 135
    Press: 95
    Deadlift: 225

I've lifted in excess of all of these weights in the past (including yesterday), but this is where my lifts started to slow down. Also, re-learning/ingraining the motor patterns probably isn't a bad idea (might even be a good idea). Likely means I'll be able to make progress a little longer before stalling as well.

I'll be following the workout as described in the book, including deadlifts every workout for a while.

Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

Workout B
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift (later to be replaced with power cleans)

My current goals are simply to get stronger. I don't have a particular weight goal for any of the lifts - I think I'll be able to set something realistic after I've followed the program for somewhere between 10 and 20 workouts.

Since I tend to be a little gung-ho when I start something new, I'm not planning to wait until Monday to do my first workout - that'll be tomorrow, and I'll do four workouts before my first 2-day rest. Given that I just finished out a four month rugby season and the weights are light, I think I can handle it.

Default August 24 training session

First training session last night went well. All the weights moved. Probably should work out earlier in the evening (didn't get downstairs to lift until 2130), but a busy day and fussy baby conspired to make it a late start. Probably shoot for about 1900 or so on Monday.

Warmup (10 min elliptical)

Squat: warmup then 175lbs x 5,5,5
    Nice and easy. Hopefully stays that way as the weight goes up.
    Bench Press: warmup then 135lbs x 5,5,5
    Felt harder than it should have. Need to re-read this section of the book and make sure I'm hitting the right marks.
    Deadlift: warmup then 225lbs x 5
    Setup feels like it changes through the set - need to film next workout to determine if I'm actually changing my hips/back between reps or not.

All the weights go up for next session(s). Going to take it slow on the squat (5lbs), overhead press in Monday's workout, but bench goes up 5lbs for Wednesday, and deadlift goes up 10lbs on Monday.

A little bit of soreness from the test day and first workout, but nothing significant. No lifting during rugby season, and just need to get the muscles used to it again.

Default August 26 Training Session

Took videos last night. Almost decided not to upload/post them, since even I can see some of the things that need work. Then thought it might be nice to have a record of what they looked like early-on. Videos help, but I think I might need to try out different angles, only so much you can see from a side-view.

Squat: warmup then 185lbs x 5,5,5
    Nice and easy. Watching the video, not sure I'm getting deep enough. Definitely getting a little forward lean on at least one rep. Need to focus more on technique and less on speed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ln1m6E9tA

Overhead Press: warmup then 95lbs x 5,5,5
    Doesn't feel hard, but I know I'm not implementing the Press 2.0 technique well. I'm not getting a bounce off the hip kick, or at least, I'm not using it well enough. Also think my hands are outside my elbows (forearms not vertical) - should take video from the front next time to confirm. In order to get the bar onto my delts, need to have it sitting in my fingers, not on my palm (flexibility issue?). Doesn't seem like that would be ideal. Maybe video from the front will help clear that up too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3pnymnoykc

Deadlift: warmup then 235lbs x 5
    Watching the video, I don't think my setup changes much from rep to rep. I definitely need to remember to keep my head in-line with the rest of my spine though, was watching a fixed point on the wall and I can see that it messes things up a bit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXIpXGyi2HU

All the weights go up for next session(s). Need to learn to follow my plan better - did 185 for squats when the plan was 180. Not a big deal now when the weights are light, but might be a different story in a few weeks.

Default August 28 Training Session

Read the sticky in the SSC Q&A forum, and tonight's videos were more helpful.

Squat: warmup then 190lbs x 5,5,5
    Depth was fine, little bit of "butt wink" on one or two reps. Need to fix that.
    Bench Press: warmup then 140lbs x 5,5,5
    Deadlift: warmup then 245lbs x 5
    Setup seems fairly consistent. Tried out hook grip tonight since I had to re-grip the bar after three reps last workout. Grip is more secure, but not sure if I like it. Will use if for a few more sessions and see how it goes. Eventually plan to try mixed grip as well, before settling on a grip for work sets.

All the weights go up for next session(s).

Default August 30 Training Session

Squat: warmup then 195lbs x 5,5,5
    Re-read the squat chapter and Active Hip article. Looked and felt good tonight.
    Overhead Press: warmup then 100lbs x 5,5,5
    Still learning the hip motion, not getting enough transfer from horizontal to vertical. Left shoulder (old rugby injury) gets cranky when I forget to shrug up enough at the top.
    Deadlift: warmup then 255lbs x 5
    DOH grip for warmups, then hook grip for work set.

Default September 2 Training Session

Squat: warmup then 200lbs x 5,5,5
    I see a little bit of relaxation at the bottom of the squat, especially with lighter weights. Need to focus on holding lumbar region in the correct position.
    Bench Press: warmup then 145lbs x 5,5,5
    Deadlift: warmup then 265lbs x 5
    DOH grip for warmups, then hook grip for work set. Wasn't too heavy, but grip felt less secure than last workout. Grip is going to be an issue soon, might have to try mixed?

Default September 4 Training Session

Squat: warmup then 205lbs x 5,5,5
    Still feels pretty easy. I'm getting to depth OK, but still need to focus on keeping my lower back tight at the bottom. Occasionally back gets too vertical by the end of a set...
    Overhead Press: warmup then 105lbs x 5,5,5
    Press 2.0 form is coming, but still requires a lot of concentration. Definitely not effortless.
    Deadlift: warmup then 275lbs x 5
    DOH grip for warmups, then hook grip for work set. Grip did not feel secure for the work set. Not sure if I'm doing the hook grip wrong, have small hands, or maybe it just doesn't work for me. Try mixed grip next workout.

Default September 6 Training Session

Squat: warmup then 210lbs x 5,5,5
    Bench Press: warmup then 150lbs x 5,5,5
    Deadlift: warmup then 285lbs x 5
    DOH grip for warmups, then mixed grip for work set. Mixed feels a lot more secure than the hook grip did, so sticking with that. Last warmup at 265 tested my grip pretty good, maybe should chalk up for warmup sets after 225...

Default September 14 Training Session

Played in a 3-pitch tournament last Sunday, and took a ball in the leg while pitching. Solid 7" dia bruise, but no major damage. Vacation this last week, with no gym close enough to make the drive worth it. This session, repeat of last session. Back on track starting Monday.

Squat: warmup then 210lbs x 5,5,5
    Bench Press: warmup then 150lbs x 5,5,5
    Felt easy, layoff week didn't impact strength, and felt well rested.
    Deadlift: warmup then 285lbs x 5
    DOH grip for warmups, then mixed grip for work set. Need to rest more before work-set, felt harder than it did last week, but still went up.

starting strength coach development program
    Good progression. Keep up the good work. Since you have had experience with lifting before did anything in the progression surprise you?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast