starting strength gym

Thread: Be A Beast, Case #3

Default Be A Beast, Case #3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, would you suggest any adjustments to the Case #3 meal template for someone more geezerly than your 34 year old subject? I'm not as fluffy as your example but I wish to tighten things up.

FWIW:
    Age 56
    Weight 236
    Height 5' 11 ½" (When you never made it to 6' that extra half inch matters, heh)
    Most recent lifts:
    Squat 295 x 4 x 3, 335 single, 315 x 5 x 3 interim goal
    Press 195 x 4 x 3, 227½ single, 250 goal
    Bench 285 x 4 3, 325 single, 365 goal

Looking in the mirror I'd guess that 220 or so would be more appropriate then the current 236.

Hey Bob, what are you eating now- roughly from a calorie/macro standpoint?

I've not been one to weigh and measure but have no problem doing so. Here's yesterday's numbers after wedging them through one of the on line sites:

2970 kCal, 174P/128C/175F

The calories look to be lighter than normal for me. Protein is typical (and way lower than I would have guessed). Carbs were high, I had a sandwich and some chips for lunch and I usually don't eat much bread nor chips. I'd guess I am usually 30gr lower per day. Fat was a bit high, that sammich was liver sausage - tasty but fattier than the meats I usually eat.

The big habit that I will be changing as I follow your guidelines is eating more frequently in the day, especially breakfast on workdays. Since junior high I hardly ever eat a meal before lunch. I always eat breakfast on weekends.

First thing I'd do is add ~80g of protein or so. I think this could best be done by doing 40g of whey protein first thing in the AM and then right before bed. Then I'd take away about 30g of fat and add about 40g of carbs. If you measure/weigh for a week and get in a good routine, I don't think you'd have to weigh/measure forever.

You doing any conditioning?

Why 4 reps?
    That reduces your tonnage/workload significantly when compared to a full 5 reps at a lighter weight

Jordan, I just got a food scale from work; I plan on to start weighing my protein from meats, I don't think I have to weigh my carbs because its all stuff that I can measure with cups and use the nutritional guides. To the weighing of meat though , say I weigh a pork chop and its 8 oz, what's the best way to determine or at least estimate how much of that 8 oz is the fat? I don't plan on adding fats like butter or oils to anything I cook(I could measure that without the scale anyway)

I don't use any of those macro trackers but I guess I should BC they have a formula for the protein:fat ratio in guessing ?

Many thanks, Jordan. I have some True Nutrition whey on order to fill out the protein needs. I'll pay close attention for a week or so and get the carbs and fats juggled around. I should have the routine laid out soon enough and will put the scale away. I do a lot of walking but, like protein intake, it's probably way less than I think it is. I'm an early riser, I'll do the structured morning cup o' Joe and 30 minute walk and see how that works in with the suggested macro adjustments. I'm looking forward to this. Thanks.

I don't use any of those macro trackers but I guess I should BC they have a formula for the protein:fat ratio in guessing ?
    8oz of pork chop has the macros of 8oz of pork chop, which includes the average fat and protein content. No need to correct for it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    Why 4 reps?
    That reduces your tonnage/workload significantly when compared to a full 5 reps at a lighter weight
    Oh, there's still plenty of work being done. I was running Les' (Callador's) program. It's a one lift per day scheme that has you work up to heavy singles or doubles followed immediately by volume work doing 4s. The 4s allow you to run some decent, beefier volume after the top reps. So, every day was a volume day with weight added to each workout. That accumulates for three or four weeks when you back off for a week and repeat. I found that the volume was just manageable at my advanced decrepitude but the gains for the top singles and doubles weren't what I liked. Thus my quest to tighten up the diet and a move back to a geezer adjusted TM template this week.