starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Injury at 14

Default Deadlift Injury at 14

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi. I've been lifting seriously for over half a year now (14 years old). I'm 5'8" and 146 pounds. I'm doing starting strength and my current bests are:
    150 3x5 bench press
    195 3x5 Squat
    250 1x5 deadlift

About two months ago, i was warming up before deadlifting heavy. As one of my last warm up sets, I deadlifted 230 pounds. I could not complete the lift as a sudden very sharp pain shot through my left mid-back. I was in such pain that i could not remove the plates from the bar and could barely walk. It's not in the location most people usually describe deadlifting injuries, in the lower back.

While i was recovering I basically cut out all lifting and was very sedentary. I slowly came back into lifting about a month ago. Today I was attempting 240 1x5, resetting between each rep. The first and second reps were a bit of a struggle, but I maintained my form very well. On the 3rd rep, when I had almost completed the lift, i had the same shot of pain in the same area of my back. Essentially, I injured myself in the same location doing the same activity.

My question is, how can I avoid this injury again when I deadlift in the future? is my young body not ready for intense lifting? How can I speed up recovery and prevent permanent damage? Thank you in advance for the help.

I wonder how aware you are of your back position, e.g extension VS flexion. I suspect you are in flexion and don't know it, but it's hard to tell without a video.
    Also, you are eating three horses a day, right?

Also, have a speedy recovery... When you start back light, post a video.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 08-26-2013 at 10:07 PM.

I suspect that was the problem with the first instance of the injury; once I was fatigued from the beginning of my workout, my form probably slipped considerably. However, it was still a light weight for me, as at that time I was deadlifting around 260 1x5.

After the first injury I watched countless deadlifting videos to try and revamp my form with a neutral spine, so I'm really not sure my back was flexed.

Thank you for the input ColoWayno.