starting strength gym

Thread: Stiff/sore neck shoulders

Question Stiff/sore neck shoulders

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this but here goes.
    I've hurt my neck/shoulders in a very mild way, they are stiff and sore, and preventing me from sleeping (I'll sleep for an hour at most then wake up, repeat throughout the night). I believe I tweaked something in my neck learning power cleans. I want to recover as quickly as possible but don't want to stop lifting to do so. It's not affecting my squats or press, it's affecting my bench press in a small way and power cleans/dead lifts in a big way. I'm seeing a physio and she is basically massaging my neck and shoulders, telling me to be careful with posture, get some heat on my neck and that's about it.
    So, I was thinking of dropping the power cleans until my neck is better, in it's place I'll go back to doing dead lifts. But, for dead lifts instead of doing 1x5, I'll drop the weight 20%, and do 3x5.
    Does this sound sensible or should I stop training altogether? Is there more I could be doing to treat my sore neck?

I get this sort of thing periodically, and it goes away on its own within a week without treatment.

If I had to go to someone for treatment, I would go to a chiropractor, not a PT.

How long ago did this happen?

About 10 days ago I'd say. I think Cleans/Heavy Deads are aggravating it, hence why I thought I should drop cleans/do light (but higher volume) deads only.

Quote Originally Posted by grover View Post
    About 10 days ago I'd say. I think Cleans/Heavy Deads are aggravating it, hence why I thought I should drop cleans/do light (but higher volume) deads only.
    That's long enough to get it checked out by a chiropractor.

ok, but what should I do lifting-wise until my neck/shoulders are better?

Quote Originally Posted by grover View Post
    ok, but what should I do lifting-wise until my neck/shoulders are better?
    Well, lightening the load can't hurt. I wouldn't do cleans at all, personally, until it gets better, but light deadlifts should be okay.

Can you immobilize your neck somehow when you sleep? I have one of those stupid neck pillows that I use when my neck is screwed up, because I seem to be more likely to hurt my neck in my sleep than during the day. And I try my best to sleep on my back and not on my side when my neck hurts, and definitely not on my stomach...

starting strength coach development program
    Hang upside down, rub tiger balm on it, take aN ibuprofen.