starting strength gym

Thread: Skatyrne - Journey to an Iron Body

Default Skatyrne - Journey to an Iron Body

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey folks!
    Been lurking here for a while now. Thought I should start a log.
    Fooled around with some "body building routines" for quite some time, bad or no results. Discovered Strongman a year ago and decided I wanna do what they do. So this summer I've been lifting rocks of varying size. Been quite good. Noticed an increase in both size and strength.
    Moved to town and hade no more rocks around the yard. Found a good gym where they have barbells and such. Doing a starting strength variation... Don't hate on me.

A Day - Which I did today
    Deadlift 100 kilogrammes - 3 sets of 5
    Shoulder Press 32.5 kilogrammes - 4 sets of 6
    Pull Ups body weight - 3 sets of 5
    Dips body weight - 5 sets of 3

Next day will be B day

Squats
    Shoulder Press or a variation
    Bar Bell rows
    Dips

Now you might be wondering where the bench press is? I say, fuck that gay damn exercise! Real men stand up when they lift. Thanks for the visit! =)

Default September 5

Squats 75 kilogrammes - 3 sets of 5
    Overhead Press 35 kilogrammes - 4 sets of 6
    Bar Bell rows 50 kilogrammes - 3 sets of 5
    Dips bodyweight - 5 sets of 3
    Last edited by Skatyrne; 09-06-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Fuck

Default September 10

A Day

Deadlift 105 kilogrammes - 3 sets of 5
    Shoulder Press 37.5 kilogrammes - 4 sets of 6
    Pull Ups bw - 5, 4, 4, 3 for punishment. The goal was 3 sets of 5.
    Dips bw - 4 sets of 5, improving here, despite the weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Skatyrne View Post
    Doing a starting strength variation... Don't hate on me.
    Now you might be wondering where the bench press is?... Real men stand up when they lift.
    Of course we're going to "hate on you," but don't take it too hard. You're a novice lifter who thinks he should modify a program that's been proven to work very well. Yes, press is important, and probably the preferred lift between it and bench press. But bench press is in there because it gets you strong, which is what most "real men" are concerned with.

Next day will be B day

Squats
    Shoulder Press or a variation
    Bar Bell rows
    Dips
    In addition to bench, I'm also wondering where the cleans are, and why rows are in there. If you've been lurking for any amount of time, you should know it's not an acceptable replacement.

Pull Ups bw - 5, 4, 4, 3 for punishment. The goal was 3 sets of 5.
    Don't do lifts for "punishment." Do them for improvement.

All that aside, welcome. Eat good food, do good lifts, get strong.

I was a little stupid to say I'm doing an SS variation. What I am doing is quite far from the original SS.
    About the cleans. I will try them next session, they seem like a good movement. If I get them right I will change the rows for cleans... I have heard that they are not an acceptable replacement, but I had to do something. I will have to see some form videos first though, never tried anything like them before.
    Thanks a lot! Love to eat good food and love to lift good. And I feel stronger already.

I was a little stupid to say I'm doing an SS variation. What I am doing is quite far from the original SS.
    Your prerogative, but mind if I ask why? Most people, starting out, should find a good, proven program and just hit it hard. Variations for individual goals and situations come later, when the trainee knows enough to implement them better.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    Your prerogative, but mind if I ask why? Most people, starting out, should find a good, proven program and just hit it hard. Variations for individual goals and situations come later, when the trainee knows enough to implement them better.
    Of course you may ask why.
    The simple truth is that I wanted to do an equal amount of deadlifting and squatting. Since I hadn't learned, and still not quite learned, the power clean I thought that I should do the two heavy lifts on different days and kind of build my routine on them. The bench press is another matter. I simply don't want to do it. People got strong before that lift was invented, so I should be able to do it too.

Default September 13

Squats 80 kg - 3 sets of 5
    Overhead press 40 kg - 4 sets of 6
    Pull ups bw - 5, 4, 4 and an extra set of 3 just to get to 3 sets of 5 next time.
    Dips bw - 3 sets of 7
    Also did very light power cleans at 30 kg just to feel it out.

I can feel the improvements coming. It is good. And soon I might even look like I have legs inside my pants. =P

Default September 15

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlift 110 kg - 3 sets of 5
    Overhead Press 42.5 kg - FAIL - 1 set of 5 then a few forced reps... doing same weight next time
    Pull ups bw - 3 sets of 5, finally!
    Dips bw - 3 sets of 8