starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The impact of a caloric deficit on academics

Default The impact of a caloric deficit on academics

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Do you think that grades will likely suffer due to a caloric deficit especially when also running the Texas Method? I have never cut before, but I do expect a significant drop in energy levels but I hope that it doesn't affect my concentration levels too much.

Would it be beneficial to do a carb loading over the weekend in order to have better performance during the week and for volume day? I don't know how this stuff works since I've been bulking since I started lifting (13 months ago), so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't go into too much of a caloric deficit off that bat and no, it won't mess with your academic performance. I've done RFL and still got A's in grad school and medical school for stints.

Just get enough sleep. Don't be exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I wouldn't go into too much of a caloric deficit off that bat and no, it won't mess with your academic performance. I've done RFL and still got A's in grad school and medical school for stints.
    Maybe you're just that fahqing smaht.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    Maybe you're just that fahqing smaht.
    PED's....adderall. Not srs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    Do you think that grades will likely suffer due to a caloric deficit especially when also running the Texas Method? I have never cut before, but I do expect a significant drop in energy levels but I hope that it doesn't affect my concentration levels too much.

Would it be beneficial to do a carb loading over the weekend in order to have better performance during the week and for volume day? I don't know how this stuff works since I've been bulking since I started lifting (13 months ago), so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    3 suggestions if you're going to run this combo:

1)Drink Coffee. Don't go nuts, but make sure you're drinking it before/during school if you're not already(which you may be).

2)Watch your recovery very closely. I ran TM on a low-carb deficit w/ refeeds and ran myself into the ground. Programming has to be on point for this combo to work from what I've seen.

3)I don't know if it's too late or not, but don't drop your calories by a huge amount right away. That can cause some unwanted side effects.

Letīs put it the other way around. Is there anything you can do to improve your performance in academics nutrition-wise? Not starving is an obvious one..

Thanks Jordan.
    How do you think I should cut my calories, 100cals per week? My maintenance is about 2700cals, been bulking on 3100 lately, and I'm thinking of cutting at around 2400 (10% deficit). Maybe conditioning would be a good idea, I've no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by JukkaM View Post
    . Is there anything you can do to improve your performance in academics nutrition-wise?
    Breast milk, eat fish, have lots of sex, train.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    Thanks Jordan.
    How do you think I should cut my calories, 100cals per week? My maintenance is about 2700cals, been bulking on 3100 lately, and I'm thinking of cutting at around 2400 (10% deficit). Maybe conditioning would be a good idea, I've no clue.
    I'd just start at 3000kCal/day and see how you respond. 2400kCal/day would be too big a drop. Conditioning is program dependent but, in general, I like starting at 2x a week HIIT.

starting strength coach development program
    This calls for a thorough study. I'm thinking a dozen of subjects in their mid-twenties with only a high-school diploma. As a test of academic performance, have them invert two-by-two matrices for time. The results will clearly be applicable to graduate students.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast