starting strength gym

Thread: Waist size going up too much?

Default Waist size going up too much?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Five weeks ago I started weighing and keeping track of all my food. I started out at 163lbs and five weeks later I am 168. My pants and belt fit tighter so it seems most of that weight is going to my waist. At this rate, my now 37 inch waist (at the belly button) may be 40 inches by the time I hit 185. I’ve seen you tell people that .5 to 1 inch increase in waist size is about all one should see, and my waist is almost 1 inch bigger after just a 5 lb increase in weight. Should I adjust the number of calories I’m eating or keep them the same and adjust the macros?

About me:
    39 year old male
    5’10” 168 lbs, 24% body fat (based on tape measurements)
    3000 calories per day with the following macros Protein=186 Fat=140 Carbs=254

Currently doing 531 with my work sets based off the following numbers

Squat 195
    DL 260
    Press 110
    Bench 165

Conditioning is done after each workout by doing various sprints on the Concept 2 Rower (e.g. 1 min work, 1 minute rest for 10 rounds).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Remove 20g of fat and add 40g of protein to your daily intake. Stop doing 1:1 conditioning because you can't sprint for 1 minute. Do 20-30s on, 2 min off x 7-8 rounds to start.

Not sure what to say about your waist other than yes, it's probably getting too big too quickly. Don't cut calories just yet, manipulate and ride it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Alta Skier View Post
    Five weeks ago I started weighing and keeping track of all my food. I started out at 163lbs and five weeks later I am 168. My pants and belt fit tighter so it seems most of that weight is going to my waist. At this rate, my now 37 inch waist (at the belly button) may be 40 inches by the time I hit 185. I’ve seen you tell people that .5 to 1 inch increase in waist size is about all one should see, and my waist is almost 1 inch bigger after just a 5 lb increase in weight. Should I adjust the number of calories I’m eating or keep them the same and adjust the macros?

About me:
    39 year old male
    5’10” 168 lbs, 24% body fat (based on tape measurements)
    3000 calories per day with the following macros Protein=186 Fat=140 Carbs=254

Currently doing 531 with my work sets based off the following numbers

Squat 195
    DL 260
    Press 110
    Bench 165

Conditioning is done after each workout by doing various sprints on the Concept 2 Rower (e.g. 1 min work, 1 minute rest for 10 rounds).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    I'm saying this in place of Jordan (cause he's awesome and has a lot of patience). Read the sticky and especially THE ARTICLE: http://thefitcoach.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/584/

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    I'm saying this in place of Jordan (cause he's awesome and has a lot of patience). Read the sticky and especially THE ARTICLE: http://thefitcoach.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/584/
    I read that article a couple times before, but only now noticed the picture of him at the top squatting he's got like barely a ring finger and a pinky on the bar. That normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
    I read that article a couple times before, but only now noticed the picture of him at the top squatting he's got like barely a ring finger and a pinky on the bar. That normal?
    For me? Yep.

Got you called for a missed squat though, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
    How long do you have to look at this picture before you get to that? There are so many other distractions: the extreme color match between Jordan's belt, the letters in STRONG, the Eleiko wheels and the color of his face; the beard; the sheer number of wheels; the beard; the fact that it looks like the spotter is about to push him over; the photo-bombing guy in the lower left; the beard... Did I mention the beard?

I don't think I have -any- fingers on the bar when I am squatting, just the heel of my hand and maybe the very base of my thumb. Thank you freakish mutant anthropometry. On the other hand, I'm never loading my wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    Got you called for a missed squat though, didn't it?
    No. I've gotten 1 red light 2x for having a finger off the bar. Never missed a squat unless I just got buried. Actually, check that...I missed a squat at a meet in Philly for what I thought was my finger being off the bar but the reality was I did not "lock my knees" after the finish (according to my buddy running the table, a national USAPL judge). The USAPL is pretty ridiculous though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil F View Post
    I don't think I have -any- fingers on the bar when I am squatting, just the heel of my hand and maybe the very base of my thumb. Thank you freakish mutant anthropometry. On the other hand, I'm never loading my wrists.
    Yea I try not to have many on there to save my delicate wrists (college cheerleading + motocross crashes really did a number on them).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    (college cheerleading
    You put your hands where?!?!