starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIIT Question

Default HIIT Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

1) Thanks for writing this forum. I just finished reading all the old threads over the past few days and have learned lots. I've started taking creatine and whey based on your suggestions and am now also tracking my macros to establish, and then tweak, a baseline. I look forward to purchasing your e-book.

2) Per your suggestion I'm looking to start doing some HIIT style training (3-4 sessions per week). I've ruled out sprinting since, as you've pointed out, that will mess with my leg recovery from squats. Instead, would a straight 5 minutes of kettlebell snatches (53lb) be an ok choice for HIIT? There is no on/off Tabata type interval, but the 5 minutes of 53lb KB snatches leaves me gassed and wanting to pass out on the floor like a cross fitter.

(I don't have a rower or bike machine or prowler, but do have the 53lb kettlebell.)

In case it matters the goal of my using HIIT is to lose a significant amount of bodyfat that I gained while mostly immobile for several months from a now resolved medical condition. (Had growth on spine for several months greatly impinging sciatic nerve. Growth removed, everything's good now.)

Another factor: I lost the 44lbs in a retarded manner. I did enormous amounts of cardio (60minute+ sessions burning 1k+ calories on elliptical) and am now one of those people who have adapted to become very fuel efficient. At this point no amount of LSD seems to help. It was through your threads on this topic that I realized I had f'd myself with all the LSD.

Stats, in case they are useful:

Height: 73 inches
    Weight: 260lbs (Down from 304lbs, but still plenty more to go. Goal weight 200lbs.).
    1 Rep Maxes:
    B Squat: 395
    Bench: 260
    Deadlift: 480
    OH Press: 180
    Bodyfat %: No idea, but very high. Would guess 40%. Gut is very pronounced.

Thanks so much again, not just for answering this question but for your time and all the knowledge you share here.

2) Per your suggestion I'm looking to start doing some HIIT style training (3-4 sessions per week). I've ruled out sprinting since, as you've pointed out, that will mess with my leg recovery from squats. Instead, would a straight 5 minutes of kettlebell snatches (53lb) be an ok choice for HIIT? There is no on/off Tabata type interval, but the 5 minutes of 53lb KB snatches leaves me gassed and wanting to pass out on the floor like a cross fitter.
    You cannot do HIIT or sprint for 5 minutes, as this MUST be paced. It might be a strong dose of a strength-endurance type conditioning, but I'd prefer to see like 30s of max swings w/ 2 minutes rest in between rounds x 7-9 rounds.

Congrats on your journey so far man. Keep your head down, lift heavy weights frequently and condition like you're running from a goddamn lion.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I had a question about HITT too. If I perform HITT on a spin bike, is it better to go at a moderate resistance that allows me to go fast or a heavy resistance that I have to grind out (slow).

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You cannot do HIIT or sprint for 5 minutes, as this MUST be paced. It might be a strong dose of a strength-endurance type conditioning, but I'd prefer to see like 30s of max swings w/ 2 minutes rest in between rounds x 7-9 rounds.

Congrats on your journey so far man. Keep your head down, lift heavy weights frequently and condition like you're running from a goddamn lion.
    That's what I'll do then. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Know Squat View Post
    Sorry for hijacking your thread but I had a question about HITT too. If I perform HITT on a spin bike, is it better to go at a moderate resistance that allows me to go fast or a heavy resistance that I have to grind out (slow).
    It'd be best to sprint against a moderately heavy resistance.

I done both on an elliptical. At the max resistance, my heart rate was 140-150. At half that resistance, my heart rate was 180-190 or more.

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm currently doing stationary bike HIIT 4x a week 20s sprint 100s rest for 10 intervals (started at 5 and worked up over a few weeks) Once at 10s I then started progressing by increasing resistance. Now I suspect I might have overdone it. Going a little slower at a higher resistance has been a different sort of hard. I know there are a lot of variables, but is there a ballpark sprint speed that would indicate resistance is about right?

but is there a ballpark sprint speed that would indicate resistance is about right?
    Not really. Just go as fast as humanly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Thoughts on Airdyne? The only thing that has made me feel worse than the prowler...
    Airdyne is legit.

starting strength coach development program
    Not really. Just go as fast as humanly possible.
    Is there no %HR Max guideline, here? I'd think the resistance and speed that gives you the highest heart rate would probably work the best for HIIT, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast