starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your take on this?

Default What's your take on this?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In particular the part about milk. I'm interested to know what you have to say.

I have a question too. How does a Paleo Diet work for us strength training folks? I mean, carbs are our energy source right? So in theory low carb, high protein, high fat would mean you have less enerygy.

It's 51 minutes and while I think I've seen this before, but I can't be sure. Either way, I'm not going to watch it due to time constraints. I've made clear my thoughts about Paleo here and elsewhere and in sum, it's fine if it works for you from a compliance standpoint but it's not magical insofar as health or performance as compared to most other diets similar in kCal and macros. Paleo doesn't have to be low carb, but it is in most iterations and that would be a very low performance diet.

I don't know what he said about milk, but milk is fine unless you have an allergy to it. Any other opining is broscience mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It's 51 minutes and while I think I've seen this before, but I can't be sure. Either way, I'm not going to watch it due to time constraints. I've made clear my thoughts about Paleo here and elsewhere and in sum, it's fine if it works for you from a compliance standpoint but it's not magical insofar as health or performance as compared to most other diets similar in kCal and macros. Paleo doesn't have to be low carb, but it is in most iterations and that would be a very low performance diet.

I don't know what he said about milk, but milk is fine unless you have an allergy to it. Any other opining is broscience mostly.
    Would appriciate your input on the milk part, it starts at around 37:30

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Would appriciate your input on the milk part, it starts at around 37:30
    What does it say and why are you concerned? Do you get diarrhea, upset stomach, or a rash when you drink milk? I'm really not going to watch it man...sorry.

What does it say and why are you concerned? Do you get diarrhea, upset stomach, or a rash when you drink milk? I'm really not going to watch it man...sorry.
    I don't get a rash or diarrhea, some bloating that's all.

I'll quote some of what he says that concerns me.

"That ought to tell us something, that when 65% of the people on the planet can't drink milk we've got a problem"

"No other mammal on the planet consumes milk of another species at any time"

"full of hormones, bioactive enzimes" "they get past the gut barrier and interact with your immunse system"

"Type 1 diabetees in children, we know that milk is a suspect factor"

Some study which had one group drinking milk and another eating meat. The group that drank the milk all became insulin resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post

"That ought to tell us something, that when 65% of the people on the planet can't drink milk we've got a problem"
    Being that there are multiple different sources or combinations of data he could be quoting I won't say this is BS, though it smells like it since the prevalence of dx'd milk allergy in adults is ~1%. Lactose intolerance is fairly common in adults of many different ethnicities and as we age lactase tends to get downregulated in many people (though not all). It's not very common for white folks of Eastern European descent and if you can tolerate milk fine well, guess you're okay.

"No other mammal on the planet consumes milk of another species at any time"
    That's not true, other mammals steal other animals milk in the wild all the time. They also drink dead animals blood when they kill them and milk is filtered cow's blood.

"full of hormones, bioactive enzimes" "they get past the gut barrier and interact with your immunse system"
    Sure, if you have a gut pathology or a hypersensitivity reaction to a constituent of milk. This is not universal and should not be interpreted as such.

"Type 1 diabetees in children, we know that milk is a suspect factor"
    Possibly true, if there is a underlying disease state (like an autoimmune disease) but how can we derive a wide-sweeping statement from this?

Some study which had one group drinking milk and another eating meat. The group that drank the milk all became insulin resistant.
    Haha, c'mon man......

milk is filtered cow's blood.
    And suddenly my meals have taken on a Gothic tinge

Yea people say the "filtered cow's blood" thing like it's bad, but we routinely used to seek and drink other animal's and human's blood all the time. Pretty high in nutrients and I imagine it to be analogous to a Chianti paired with some fava beans and sweet breads.

I've always hated the "no other animal does X" argument. What other species cooks its food, uses cutlery, or builds concrete paths so it doesn't have to walk on the filthy ground?

starting strength coach development program
    I love when the Paleo/Primal folk bring that up, too. What really is hilarious is the notion that "over X% of the adult population can't drink milk!". Correction, lactase enzyme gets downregulated when you...wait for it....don't drink milk or consume less dairy. Who consumes less dairy by and large...adults. Strange, complicated, cutting edge.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast