starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Important is Fat?

Default How Important is Fat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan, firstly, thanks for putting up with our stupid questions - I have learned a great deal from this forum - and secondly I'm sorry if this has been previously discussed but I couldn't find it in a forum search.

How important is fat intake to training?

for context, I'm 34, 20-25%BF (down from high 30s but keen to keep dropping) and my LP is still going OK. I am tracking my macros and on some days find by the end of the day I am low in one or another. If it's protein I always top up with whey, and often if I am low in carbs I will top up as well (mostly with fruit). But if I am lower than the suggested range in fat, is that a big deal? should I be topping up, or is fat not a necessary macronutrient for performance, it just happens to be present in most foods?

As long as it's over ~20% of total daily calories or at least 15g of fat per 1000kCal (with 30% of total fat coming from saturated fat sources) you're fine from a performance/recovery standpoint provided the rest of the calories are in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    As long as it's over ~20% of total daily calories or at least 15g of fat per 1000kCal (with 30% of total fat coming from saturated fat sources) you're fine from a performance/recovery standpoint provided the rest of the calories are in line.
    Sorry, not trying to be pedantic, but
    15 x 9 = 135
    135 / 1000 = 13.5%

What do you mean by over ~20% or at least [13.5%]?

As long as it's over ~20% of total daily calories or at least 15g of fat per 1000kCal
    Can this be an average over several days, or is it detrimental to performance/recovery if you don't hit this minimum every day?

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Sorry, not trying to be pedantic, but
    15 x 9 = 135
    135 / 1000 = 13.5%

What do you mean by over ~20% or at least [13.5%]?
    I mean that on a normal diet, being over 20% of daily kCal is likely more than enough fat provided 30% of it is coming from saturated fats. If you're on a super-restricted diet, i.e. pre contest or abbreviated crash diet then 15g/1000kCal is the absolute rock bottom I'd go. I should've clarified that.

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyWillNotice View Post
    Can this be an average over several days, or is it detrimental to performance/recovery if you don't hit this minimum every day?
    I don't know how performance is affected day to day with super low fat, but the detriment of not having enough fat in the diet manifests itself over a chronic deficiency- not an acute one.

I mean that on a normal diet, being over 20% of daily kCal is likely more than enough fat provided 30% of it is coming from saturated fats. If you're on a super-restricted diet, i.e. pre contest or abbreviated crash diet then 15g/1000kCal is the absolute rock bottom I'd go. I should've clarified that.
    Gotcha! Thanks

I mean that on a normal diet, being over 20% of daily kCal is likely more than enough fat provided 30% of it is coming from saturated fats.
    Wait, hold the phone. Are you telling me that you are studying to become a doctor and you aren't saying that saturated fat is going to kill us? What kind of witch-doctor training school are you going to?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wait, hold the phone. Are you telling me that you are studying to become a doctor and you aren't saying that saturated fat is going to kill us? What kind of witch-doctor training school are you going to?
    It's Chiropractic school (ha...I had to do it). Interestingly, saturated fat is the ONLY kind of fat that cannot be oxidized....

Sorry my knowledge of nutrition is eating lots of protein and letting the rest fall into place. But what does oxidizing fat mean?

starting strength coach development program
    It's Chiropractic school (ha...I had to do it). Interestingly, saturated fat is the ONLY kind of fat that cannot be oxidized....
    So if I eat lots of it, I don't have to worry about rusting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast