starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh vs. Frozen Veggies

Default Fresh vs. Frozen Veggies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Do you have anything bad to say about frozen veggies in those steam fresh bags as opposed to fresh? Now that the farmer's market season is about over, one of my favorite meals lately has been slicing up a rotisserie chicken and pouring a bag of steam fresh veggies over it.

Frozen veggies usually taste just as good as long as they're not nuked for too long, and they're worlds better than whatever comes out of a can, IMO (canned corn, peas, green beans, etc... make me want to hurl).

Any nutritional reason why I should avoid these and stick with fresh at all costs? Otherwise, I've found my new favorite use for my microwave.

Do you have anything bad to say about frozen veggies in those steam fresh bags as opposed to fresh? Now that the farmer's market season is about over, one of my favorite meals lately has been slicing up a rotisserie chicken and pouring a bag of steam fresh veggies over it.
    Not really anything bad to say at all. Yes, some nutrients get lost in the cooking process, but it's not a deal breaker to me- particularly if you're steaming your veggies.

I recall reading about a paper (admittedly from Birds Eye who do frozen veg) that 'fresh' looses alot of nutrients in the food chain (Carrots 10%, Broccoli 25%, Green beans 45%). Retail distribution talks alot about the cold chain and the deterioration rate of veg Best Before is alarming once the cold chain is broken (e.g. 1 day lost for every hour out of chill). I think also there was a consideration of nutritional content and seasonality when buying fresh (i.e. out of season = less nutritional content).

Yep, even fresh foods lose nutrient density. Both lose with cooking as well.

I think there's a certain sort of 'last foot' thinking in these kinds of decisions.

You're eating vegetables, not donuts. That's the first 99 feet.

Steamed vs. sauteed vs. in a lean soup vs. frozen vs. fresh is the last foot.

Not that it's not worth ever talking about, just -- if the bag of frozen means you're eating veggies instead of a bag of doritos, well, I think that's a no-brainer.

Jordan's other posts always talk about this in terms of compliance (if it makes you compliant, do it, even if it is slightly sub-optimal). My version of that is -- if the thing that is 1% worse than the optimal thing will make you 99% better than the worst thing, do it, and don't sweat the 1%.

Just my 2c.

What about boiling veggies, same as steaming?

Quote Originally Posted by patterson View Post
    What about boiling veggies, same as steaming?
    I guess? Heating the food just does things to the micronutrient availability.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    After boiling some vag, the water gets all green and tastes like the vegetables - would there be any benefit to drinking this over regular fap water?

Also, check out the phone's autocorrect ideas!
    Fap water? I'd definitely leave that alone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    After boiling some vag, the water gets all green and tastes like the vegetables - would there be any benefit to drinking this over regular fap water?

Also, check out the phone's autocorrect ideas!
    Boiling some vag? Easy Buffalo Bill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast