starting strength gym

Thread: Rotator Cuff

Default Rotator Cuff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Got a pain in my rotator cuff after doing workout b of TM. Not sure if it was the chin ups or bench but it hurt about 30 mins after the gym. Woke up and could barely move my arm. Almost 2 weeks later, it still hasnt fully healed. whenever I bring my arm across my chest it is a slight slight pain, but moving it behind my back is what still hurts. Any experience/advice with this sort of thing?

I regularly work on all the trigger points around my shoulder with a lacrosse ball. I would be crippled without that. If I hurt after a workout, then I apply ice, over multiple days if I have to. I've got two neoprene shoulder ice packs in the freezer at all times, so I can use them while doing other stuff around the house. Another lifesaver.

I'll give the ice packs a shot. its never happened to me before and I am only 23. I am a little worried it is some sort of tear because the pain is only there when the arm is fully extended

My understanding is that muscle tears are usually visible as some sort of bruising.

Keep in mind that where you feel the pain isn't necessarily where any injury has occurred. This is the insidious nature of trigger points. What you describe is fully consistent with trigger points on some of the rotator cuff muscles or other muscles of the shoulder. I'd use a lacrosse ball on the deltoids, triceps, biceps, arm pit, and shoulder blade areas. Anything that hurts where you roll the ball is a likely trigger point. It can take several days (or weeks) to work them out. Even doing this prior or during a workout can help you get though the workout.

Just from what you describe, I'd think the lacrosse ball would likely be more successful than the ice, but it sure doesn't hurt to do both. And if you ice, might be prudent to hit the elbow as well as the shoulder.
    Last edited by Greg Esres; 10-06-2013 at 12:01 PM.

I'll give it all a shot. The frustration of not being able to work out is worse than expected. It moves enough without pain that I will be squatting this week. Thanks for the advice

Please report back, because it helps others to know what worked for you. I didn't say it explicitly, but I've dealt with the same pain as you describe, although that doesn't necessarily mean that it has the same cause. I visited an orthopedist, who prescribed a couple of months physical therapy, which did no good at all. The PTs had recommended A.R.T. by a chiropractor, which also wasn't helpful. When I started working on the trigger points, however, I saw enough improvement that I could resume my training, although I had to use the lacrosse ball between sets. Now, I rarely have to use it at all. Still, I have one at home, one in the car, and one at work. You can Google on the places to use the ball, based on what you're doing when you feel the pain (e.g., internal/external rotation, horizontal ab/adduction.)

Hit the gym today. Shoulders about to 90%. I had no access to the LAX ball. However I iced packed it about 2 times a day and tried move the left arm as much to keep the joint warm. Oh and 4 or so NSAID's a day. Once the LAX ball comes in, I will post again.

Quote Originally Posted by squatopolis View Post
    Shoulders about to 90%.
    Is that an improvement?

I hurt my left shoulder badly two weeks ago doing a close grip bench with 245. My shoulder made a horrible grinding pop with deep burning pain.
    My Son is a personal trainer and he advised me to do seated cable rows for high reps to rehab it. It is slowly getting better.
    Good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    Is that an improvement?
    definitely.