starting strength gym

Thread: Adductor injury - 2 months in and no improvement?

Default Adductor injury - 2 months in and no improvement?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi! I'm 32 and started with SS about 3 months ago. I only used very light weight on the squat (max was 45kg one time) as I'm still learning form. Anyway, about 2 months ago I noticed a sharp pain in the bottom of the squat (I didn't have lifting shoes then). At first, it was bareable, but after a few workouts it got worse and I stopped with SS completely for healing. the pain seems to be located in my inner tight, near the balls. My theory is, that it was caused by my knees traveling forward during the descent.

Anyway, it hasn't healed or improved till now. The pain however is not at all noticable in everyday activities, just at squat bottom. Not even in front leg raises or when I raise the leg so my knee touches the chest. It's only noticable when I, additionally to lifting my leg, rotate it and lift my foot inwards above my other leg's knee (when sitting, it starts slightly below the knee). It's a sharp pain.

Which muscle could that be? My doctor said that it's probably a small muslce or tendon tear, but nothing too serious since there was no visible blue spot. I'm totally frustated because it has been two months and I still don't see the horizon. I'd much appreciate your input on how I should proceed!

If it hasn't improved in 2 months by itself, my suggestion would be to try to work through it for a couple of weeks and see if it improves. If nothing changes go back to your doctor and demand that he do whatever it takes (MRIs etc) to figure out what it is and to fix it. Unless you're leaving out some big thing that you're doing to it, this is not a reasonable chronic injury.

Also what's your height and weight ?
    What weights did you get to on the other lifts ? Did you read the book ?

And get some video of your squats and post them in the Technique forum or the coaches q&a

note: i'm not a doctor or anything like that. do what your doctors say.

Hi veryhrm, thanks for your reply, that sounds reasonable. Unfortunetly, I can't resume training right now because I got another, unrelated issue with my left knee. I'll wait for three more weeks and see my doctor again if it hasn't improved. I didn't leave anything out other than that I do bicycle 2x10 minutes to the train daily, but I've stopped that for the last 2 weeks because of my knee pain.

I'm 1.82 cm (5"11') and do weight 77 kg (170 lbs).

I read the book in part. The squat chapter twice and once the chapters on the overhead press and the deadlift. The only lifts I got to practice were the squat and the press, since I was stopped dead in my tracks. I really didn't push very hard and tried to learn form first. My max was

45 kg on the squat and
    35 kg on the overhead press.

I didn't want to post any videos till I felt that I couldn't see the errors / correct the mistakes myself, which maybe was a mistake.

I can't really tell from the description where the pain is, but it might be a hip flexor, not and adductor. If it is a pull/tear do not take time off or you will end up with a ball of scar tissue that you will never get rid off. Figure out what movement pattern stresses the muscle and do the Starr protocol on it. Search the board if you do not know what the Starr protocol is. If it is an adductor, use an adductor machine.

Last edited by Meshuggah; 10-10-2013 at 06:33 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I had something similar, I injured it at first (didn't really rehab properly) and then the pain faded, a couple of months later it came back. Just like you I only noticed it in the bottom of the squat.
    No amount of rehab fixed it, but three days with a foam roller (rumble roller) fixed it. I rolled the whole inside of my leg and worked the tender spots, I've been pain free since.

Edit: As usual when foam rolling, work up and down from where the pain is located, in my case the pain was further up (near the balls) but foam rolling worked the best somewhere in the middle. It's usually quite easy to find the tender spots.