starting strength gym

Thread: Slow(er) bulk with SS

Default Slow(er) bulk with SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

I'm a little less than a month into SS. Love it, and I'm seeing some excellent improvement in my weight and my lift numbers (squat 145, bench 95, ohp 75, dl 175) (all are working sets). I am currently 6'0, 139lbs., 18 male (started at 127)

I have a question on the calorie recommendations for the program. I've determined by watching the scale that my TDEE is right around 2500. Most days I eat 3500-4000 calories, which works out to about 2-3 lbs. gained a week. No problem there. However, on some of my busier days, especially weekends, I end up eating closer to 3000, which is only 500 above TDEE. If I eat in the 3000 range 2 or 3 days a week, will it be a huge problem?

Overall, is my intake still too low for someone of my size? (obviously trying to gain weight) Is a slower bulk like this considered YNDTP? If I am still seeing weight gain and linear progression, is it okay to continue at this intake level?

Thanks,
    Josh

Hi Josh,

Overall, is my intake still too low for someone of my size?
    Not right now. Just make sure you're adding weight to your body every week, at least 2lbs but 3+ is desirable. Add enough calories to make this happen.

Is a slower bulk like this considered YNDTP? If I am still seeing weight gain and linear progression, is it okay to continue at this intake level?
    Yes, technically. On the other hand, since this weight gain thing isn't linear- I'd recommend adding calories every 4-7 days to continue to push your weight up. Start thinking in terms of 210-220lbs...

Thanks Jordan. I'll keep adjusting as I continue.