starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting something Special - My Training Log - change for life

Post Starting something Special - My Training Log - change for life

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Time for some accountability and to start publishing my logs.

Background:

Started 'Stronglifts 5x5' 2nd January 2013
    Weight: 216lbs (98kg)
    BF: 24.2%

By 13th March I was up to:
    Squat = 212lbs (96kg)
    Bench = 176lbs (80kg)
    Barbell Row = 165lbs (75kg)
    OH Press = 113lbs (51.25kg)
    Deadlift = 231lbs (105kg)

A shoulder injury led me to cut my plan short so I only completed 10 weeks instead of 12 weeks as suggested. I wanted to carry on with the lifting as soon as I recovered from the injury but decided to cut down to 3 x 5 after reading a lot of Starting Strength logs and being exhausted/trying to cut down the time of my workouts. (Quality over quantity!)

Between 8th April and 26th April my new stats:
    Weight 204lbs/93kg (loss of 12lbs/4.5kg)
    BF 21.9% (loss of 2.3%)

Squat: 242lbs (110kg)
    Bench: 160lbs (72.5kg)
    Barbell Row: 176lbs (80kg)
    OH Press: 116lbs (52.5kg)
    Deadlift: 264lbs (120kg)

I then took afew months break from heavy lifting due to a hernia. I kept my weight down and fitness up with 'Boot Camp' sessions which was basically circuit training and light dumbell and barbell work before starting lifting properly again in August.

1st October stats:

Weight: 212lbs (yes I've put a lot of weight back on - I started eating a lot more - plus I had put a lot of weight on my honeymoon in July)
    BF: 23.6%
    Squat: 275lbs (125kg)
    Bench: 171lbs (77.5kg)
    Barbell Row: 171lbs (77.5kg)
    OH Press: 121lbs (55kg)
    Deadlift: 302lbs (137.5kg)

Total difference from beginning 2nd January-1st October (9 months):
    Weight: -3.4lbs
    BF: +0.8%
    Squat: +209lbs (+95kg)
    Bench: +94lbs (+43kg)
    Barbell Row: +105lbs (+48kg)
    OH Press: +66lbs (+30kg)
    Deadlift: +214lbs (+97.25kg)

Recent deloads to ease pain and pressure on a wrist fracture that I have (waiting for surgery)

3rd October
    Squat 258.5lbs (117.5kg)
    Bench Press: 137.5lbs (62.5kg)
    Barbell Row: 137.5lbs (62.5kg)

9th October
    Squat 264lbs (120kg)
    OH Press 121lbs (55kg)
    Deadlift 247.5lbs (112.5kg)

I'm hoping by using smaller increments than I used to do will actually give me more strength and a better foundation, and help keep my form rather than try and increase 10lbs every workout.

Pretty good numbers with a wrist fracture! Good look mate, will keep an eye on your log..

JC, I'd say I'd rather that than turn into a jelly baby looking specimen! Perhaps the government fitness drives should advocate squatting.

Sorry Deri, dont' mean to be misleading about the wrist fracture - I probably wouldn't advise lifting with a wrist fracture (well OK maybe squats are OK), the wrist has a screw through a bone but the screw has cracked and eroded another bone so the screw needs to come out in 2 weeks, I'm hoping they don't take the whole bone with it as it seems to have grown over the screw. Anyhow, the screw is mechanically catching a previously fine wrist bone so yeah I'd class that as a limiting factor - especially in Bench Press where it hurts like hell.

Today's lifts:

11th October
    Squat 275lbs (125kg)
    Bench Press 143lbs (65kg)
    Barbell Rows 143lbs (65kg)

Finished with some chinups (3 x 5 form not great) and hanging leg raises 3 x 12 (the elbows down kinda ones). Added some calf raises in at the end.

Started a new gym today so couldn't find the "babyweights" so had to increase the increment on the squats. Equalled my PB on the squats anyhow which I'm pleased about. It'd be nice to get up to 300lbs squats before my layoff.

Bench press was fine, pain not too bad with the weight being lighter than I'm capable off.
    Barbell rows were a struggle at the end, I tried to be really strict with the form, I'd rather get that right than just cheat myself with "PBs" that aren't really doing my body much good - I suppose that's what we're in this for.

Have a good weekend of lifting guys.

Saturday 12th October - played a game of rugby which was going great until near the end when I had to come off with a groin/hamstring/hip strain. Doesn't fell like a serious injury but looks to have put a spanner in the works which means squats and deadlifts are out of the equation...just when I was hoping to make a pb too!!

Monday 14th October
    Not to be defeated I still went to the gym and attempted the Overhead Press.

60kg (132lbs) - 3,2,2
    Wanted to lift 57.5kg but there doesn't seem to be any 1.25kg plates in my gym so I had to attempt the higher weight.

Made up the rest of the workout doing seated shoulder press, side lateral raises, front lateral raises, lots of shrugs, tricep extensions, tricep pulldowns, tricep back kicks, hammer curls, barbell curls 21s.

Over an hours worth and my shoulders and arms are aching lots so hopefully this will somehow help my strength gains and maybe ill manage to improve on my overhead press.
    Just hope my strain recovers quickly enough so I can get back to the Squats and DLs.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Pretty sure Rip would say to squat through it as soon as you can, rather than adding in a load of bodybuilding stuff that just makes you sore... ;-) He's got a pretty good guide to getting over injuries if you search through the forums.

What's the thinking with not doing cleans? Because of your wrist?

I got some fractional plates from strengthshop - next day delivery, well worth the investment.

Yeah cleans are a no go for me with the wrist so I'm sticking with rows for now until after surgery then hopefully if there is some improvement I can start with cleans in a couple of months or so.

I'll try and remember to wear my wrist straps, problem is I keep them in my rugby bag, I'll have to keep them on me at all times. Plus pop a few Ibuprofens to ease the pain.

If I could have physically squatted Monday/Weds I would have but I was struggling to even stand. Plenty of frozen peas on my groin seems to have helped a lot and I managed to squat yesterday which I'm pleased about. Been trying to update my log but been struggling to get on the Starting Strength website, it appeared to be down for me last couple of times I tried to update.

Anyway here's the log update for this week:

Wednesday 16th October
    Squats: 3 sets of 10 with just the bar (20kg/45lbs) to ease my groin back into it
    Bench Press: 70kg (154lbs) x 5 x 3
    Barbell Rows: 70kg (154lbs) x 5 x 3

I'll try not to shout about this but being honest - Finished with incline bench press barbell, incline bench press dumbell, incline bench flyes, cable crossovers, one armed rows. I too don't like the bodybuilding type exercises but I wanted to fill the time up and make it feel like I had a decent workout and use up some energy that I would have used for squatting - plus without knowing when I'd squat next it might be something I needed to persist with for now.

Friday 18th October
    Squats: 275lbs (125kg) x 5 x 3 - delighted to be able to squat what I squatted last week prior to the groin strain. Hoping to make this PB before end of next week. Found these tough but doable, concentrated on form and keeping legs in good position.
    OH Press: 60kg (132lbs) - stalled. 4, then 3, then 2. Felt strong at first but then seemed to cock up on my breathing which threw me off. I'm determined to get that 5 next week so I at least know it's possible for me right now
    Deadlift: 120kg (264lbs) x 5 x 1 - Great to be back in the land of deadlifts! Almost lost grip on the last one but it's my own fault for not using chalk this time. I'll chalk up next time.

Monday 21st October

Squats:
    20kg (44lbs) x 5 x 2
    60kg x 3
    80kg x 2
    100kg (220lbs) x 2
    130kg (286lbs) x 5 x 3

Well this is getting serious now. Had blocked ears from a bath the other night that must have softened ear wax, bit of earache and headache but was determined to complete the squats even though it felt like my head was going to explode. Good thing is I can hear now. Face went so red I must have had steam coming out of my ears. Was really worried about the last set but that felt the most comfortable of all. I just kept thinking to myself... "Up up up up up up" and I got there.

Bench Press:
    20kg (44lbs) x 5 x 2
    40kg x 3
    60kg x 2
    75kg (165lbs) x 5 x 3

Bench Press felt good, bit of wrist pain but not too restrictive. Could have gone heavier.

Barbell Row:
    20kg (44lbs) x 5 x 2
    40kg x 3
    60kg x 2
    75kg (165lbs) x 5 x 3

Felt nice and solid, made sure I kept strict form throughout.

Rewarded myself last night with a big juicy steak, sweet potato wedges and tomatoes. Trying to up protein intake, so far today had 3 hard boiled eggs, 500ml of milk with 1 scoop of chocolate whey. For lunch about 5 cheery tomatoes and some lettuce topped with cottage cheese and tuna chunks. Yum!
    And a tin or two of mackerel fillets in tomato sauce in case I work too late.

Pretty downhearted I've only got one more workout until my wrist surgery this week but hopefully it won't keep me out for too long and I can continue this journey that I've been enjoying.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by onlydale View Post
    Monday 21st October

Squats:
    20kg (44lbs) x 5 x 2
    60kg x 3
    80kg x 2
    100kg (220lbs) x 2
    130kg (286lbs) x 5 x 3

Well this is getting serious now. Had blocked ears from a bath the other night that must have softened ear wax, bit of earache and headache but was determined to complete the squats even though it felt like my head was going to explode. Good thing is I can hear now. Face went so red I must have had steam coming out of my ears. Was really worried about the last set but that felt the most comfortable of all. I just kept thinking to myself... "Up up up up up up" and I got there.
    Nice work mate - great to be back where you were so soon after getting injured. Nothing like being down in the hole with nowhere else to go! Good luck with the surgery, hope you can get back into it as soon as poss afterwards..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast