starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back in the groove, SS Log

Default Getting back in the groove, SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It's been more than 3 years since I've lifted a barbell because of life, but I'm gonna get back into it. My upper back spasm is gone (finally, after almost a month), and now I'm ready to get back into weight lifting. I plan on doing SS for as long as possible, following the SS program by the letter.

My stats: 26 years old, 5'11, 195-200lbs depending on time of the day, unknown bodyfat %. I'll guess and say 16%

I'm gonna come back starting conservatively. I'm gonna milk as much LP as I can, and I hope muscle memory will help me get back to where I was. Speaking of...

Squat PR: 265 5RM
    Bench PR: 210 5RM
    Deadlift PR: 320 5RM
    Powerclean PR: 215 1RM
    Overhead Press PR: 135lbs 5RM

For now my workout will look like this.

(reps x sets)
    Workout A
    Back squat 5x3
    Bench press 5x3
    Deadlift 5x1

Workout B
    Back Squat 5x3
    Overhead Press 5x3
    Deadlift 5x1

I'll replace DLs with PCs every other workout when DLs become too much for me (just as in SS).

I'm gonna start with 115lbs bench press, 165lbs squat, and 165lbs deadlift, and 75lbs overhead press. Increase the weight up 5lbs on bench press and overhead press, 7.5lbs on the squat, and 10lbs on the deadlift. It's a good thing I got 1.25lb and 7.5lb plates.
    Oh and I'm gonna eat like a motherfucker of course as well. The most difficult part is going to be getting enough sleep.
    Last edited by Darkroman; 10-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Alright. So I re weighed my barbell.. it's 20lbs. I used to think it was 15lbs. I know it's a pretty light barbell, but luckily I don't have a whole lot of weight on it yet. Once I have 2 weeks of lifting under my belt again, I'm gonna join a gym since I don't have access to lump sums for a new barbell.

I'll omit the specifics on warmup sets.

Back Squat:
    5x3x170lbs

Overall felt good. My dad was spotting me to make sure my form was good. He's no certified coach, but he at least was there to critique my form from us watching SS videos. 1st set was ok, 2nd and 3rd set felt the best.

Bench Press:
    5x3x120lbs

Good here! I'm doing bench presses like I've never done them. I used to do them pure bodybuilding style: Elbows pointed out to the side. Now I'm doing them as prescribed in SS and powerlifting circles. Made sure my back was squeezed and with a natural arch with my elbows closer in my body.

Deadlift:
    5x1x170lbs

Meh, my form needs work on this. I need to make conscious effort to keep my upper back from rounding. I need to keep it tight, and I also need to find the sweet spot for the barbell from the floor.

I'll try and post videos of my lifts soon, so I can get some decent critiquing.

Date: 10-24-13

Today's workout overall was great. I also reworked some progression math because I realize I'm squatting and deadlifting 6 times over a 2 week period, while I'm doing OHPs and BPs 3 times over a 2 weeks period. So I'll keep it at 5lbs for the presses, 5lbs increase on squats, and 7.5lbs on deadlifts instead of 5, 7.5 and 10lbs respectively.

Back Squat:
    5x3 @ 175lbs

Overall really well. I realized I was too careful on coming up on the squat on my first 2 sets, so I made a conscious effort to really drive the bar up on the concentric portion, while still maintaining a tight core on the eccentric on the 3rd set. I did have one little mishap however. On the 1st rep attempt on the 3rd set, I didn't go down far enough, so I didn't count that rep, and just did 5 more at a deeper depth.

Overhead Press:
    5x3 @ 70lbs

Nothing too special to report here. I just gotta make sure my breathing is correct.

Deadlift:
    5x1 @ 177.5lbs

This went so much better than my Tuesday's workout even with the increased weight. The reps were a lot faster since realizing on the squat I should focus on going fast and hard, and that mindset carried over to my deadlifts.

I could increase the weight a bit more than what I prescribed myself, but I don't want to stall too soon. I wanna keep a steady pace.

I did my workout earlier, but haven't gotten the chance to post about it yet.

Date: 10-26-13

Back Squat:
    5x3 @ 180lbs

Felt solid throughout, went up a little easier than Thursday's workout. I also started to notice my feet were pointed too far outward, so I brought them in a bit. Looked around 15-20 degrees of a turn. I'm still focusing on maximal force to drive the bar up, and pushing my knees out on the descent and ascent.

Bench Press:
    5x3 @ 125lbs

I had problems keeping the bar stable. I think I'm just gonna go back to my usual way of bench pressing rather than try the powerlifting way, that is elbows flared out, but at 75 degrees (as the book says), rather than more tucked in as a powerlifter would do. I'll keep the weight the same next time I do bench press.

Deadlift
    5x1 @ 185lbs

No problems here. Felt like Thursday's deadlifts. Fast, and smooth.
    Last edited by Darkroman; 10-27-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Date 10-29-13

Back Squat:
    5x3 @ 190lbs

Went really well. I decided to up the increase from 5lbs to 10lbs since doing only 5lbs increases my first week made it feel easier each time. This time still felt pretty good, I may up it by another 10lbs on Thursday.

Standing Overhead Press:
    5x3 @ 75lbs

These felt pretty good. I'm gonna stick with 5lbs increases on this one though, because I know I could stall pretty early on these.

Double Overhand Deadlift (note, all my DLs so far have been double overhand and conventional)
    5x1 @ 200lbs

Decided on 15lbs increase for this. I felt a little more struggle on this workout, but nothing too serious.. I may increase by 15lbs again for next workout.

Date: 10-31-13

Happy Halloween!

Back Squat:
    5x3 @ 195lbs

I could've gone for 200lbs, I should've.. it was just easy, but there's a problem. I recorded myself doing the squats and it looked like I wasn't going down even past parallel, and I was too upright! I felt like if I did go any lower though, my back would loosen up too much. Next workout I'm gonna down in weight about 20% and work my way up from there. There just didn't seem like enough hip drive. I'll try and post a video for form critique.

Bench Press:
    5x3 @ 130lbs

Easy peasy. Stable bar, tight back, straight up straight down. Going back to my usual way of doing bench presses rather than powerlifting style was a good choice.

DOH Deadlift:
    5x1 @ 210lbs

That last rep I really felt it in my posterior chain. It was great, bar still going up smoothly!
    Last edited by Darkroman; 10-31-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Where are you getting that power lifters tuck in their elbows?

I've never seen or even heard of a 20 lb. bar. One learns something new every day.

Date: 11-02-13

I had to stay at work later, and I was debating whether to lift tonight or not, but I decided to just say "fuck it, let's do this".

Back Squat:
    5x3 @ 140lbs

I didn't want to go decrease so much, but after some warm ups trying squats by going deeper, i had to stop here. I felt a slight stretch on my right abdomen when I went down. I may be bending over a little too much.. I honestly don't know. Unfortunately I didn't have enough light to record myself for a form check (my workout stuff is outside, and my phone cam is complete and total shit). Doubt could also be a bit of a player in the mindset of this exercise, too. The weight itself did feel pretty light though on my back.

Overhead Press:
    5x3 @ 80lbs

I'm seriously starting to consider I'm just going too easy on these. I'm increasing the weight by 10lbs next time I do them.

Deadlift:
    5x1 @ 220lbs

Solid. Now it's starting to feel like it's getting a bit heavy. I'm gonna increase by 10lbs again next workout and go from there.

starting strength coach development program
    Date 11-5-13:

Back Squat:
    5x3 @ 150lbs

Solid. I figured my back was leaned too far forward last time, but I fixed that a bit today and was able to increase by 10lbs without any discomfort in my abdomen or hips.

Bench Press:
    5x3 @ 140lbs

Last time I did bench press it was fairly easy, so I tried for a 10lbs increase instead of 5lbs. Went well, and is finally starting to feel like it's placing more stress. I feel like an increase in 5lbs will be well suited enough.

Deadlift:
    5x1 @ 230lbs

Phew! I think it's almost time I switch from deadlifts to power snatches for workout B. Deadlifts are definitely getting a bit harder. I'll increase by 5lbs for next workout to see how it goes.

I was a little worried I wouldn't do so well today since I've had some trouble getting to bed early enough, but I still managed to push through. I better start getting my sleep cycle back on track, because it's gonna catch up to me when I put heavier weight on the bar. Even then, a little missed sleep won't stop me from lifting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast