starting strength gym

Thread: old newbie!!...help!!

Default old newbie!!...help!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hi everyone,my name is Andrew Im just starting on the SS programme, Im 45 years old and have been lifting on and off for 10 years or so(mostly shitty bodybuilding stuff-with not much success at all,I love all of Rips stuff.9 HAVE THE BOOKS AND DVD....but have recently found (wendler 531)..now Im confused at where to start????.....my current programe is a 3 day programe.( starting strength based ..5 warmup sets....and 3 working sets of 5
    my training days are ( sat, sun and tuesday) CANT CHANGE THE DAYS!

day 1....squat and press

day 2....deadlift and bench

day 3....squat and power cleans

I do some assistance with all sets.........is this any good???

thanks Guys.....Andrew Strathie..( the Scotsman in Australia)

I'm 47, currently doing sort-of-SS on Tuesdays and Saturdays myself. (sort-of because I'm not increasing weights as prescribed)
    I'm doing a little assistance work also on Wednesday and Sunday -- just chinups and ab roller. Sometimes a loaded carry on Thursday if I have time.

By the way, why are you posting in this forum -- are you actually signed up for a powerlifting meet?

I'm worried a bit that your bench and press are going to conflict, doing them on Saturday and Sunday.

You could try this:
    Saturday: squat 3x5, press 3x5, deadlift 1x5,
    Sunday: rest
    Tuesday: squat 3x5, bench 3x5, deadlift 1x5.

It's not optimal, but your schedule isn't optimal. But, then again, you are 45, and this might work well for you.

When the deadlift starts to get too heavy, alternate it with power cleans. Fit chinups in there somewhere.

By the way, this is the training log section for competitive lifters. If this is a log, put it in the Starting Strength logs: http://startingstrength.com/resource...play.php?f=152

However, the best place for programming questions are the "Programming" forum, and Andy Baker's "Programming" forum.