starting strength gym

Thread: adamsmithesq's LP log

Default adamsmithesq's LP log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background: Rail-thin kid until my mid twenties, then I got fat. Got un-fat with diet alone, and decided to try barbell training. Turns out I'm pretty weak.

Started SS on October 21, 2013, with the following stats:

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 152 lbs
    Training Age: Newborn
    Squat: 155x1
    Dead: 235x1 (w/straps)
    Bench: 145x1
    Press: 90x2

Here's yesterday's workout:

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 164

Squat 95x5x3

I started my worksets too heavy at the beginning of my LP and injured myself. Took a week off and began working my way up from a small fixed bar, ten pounds at a time. These felt light and pain free.

Bench: 140x5x3

My starting 1RM was 145, so it was fun to do five pounds less for sets across. These are starting to feel heavy, but not intimidatingly so.

Power Snatch: 55x2x6

My first ever power movement. I did the teaching progression from the platform video, then did some doubles. My technique was bad, but better than I expected. I went with the power snatch over the power clean due to wrist flexibity issues. I'm practicing my PC rack position with a loaded bar though, so hopefully that issue is temporary.

All in all my first month has been pretty encouraging. My lifts and weight have gone up, and I have yet to miss a workout. That will change as of Friday, as the boss and I will be going to California for a week. I'm loathe to miss any workouts, but I'm starting to get pretty banged up, so it may be a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for reading my highly uninspiring log.

Today marks almost exactly one month into my LP. My consistency has been good (no missed workouts), my diet has been good (up twelve pounds), and my lifts have progressed, but sleep has been spotty at best. I'm going to take my first few workouts off, starting Friday, as I head out to California for Thanksgiving. Looking forward to coming back to the gym already.

Here's today's workout for November 20, 2013:

Weight: 164

Warm up: Rowed 500 meters in five minutes.

The usual.

Squat: 105x5x3

Rehab/reset continues to go well. These (rightfully) felt like warmups.

Press: 85x5x3

Really stunned I got this. Two press workouts ago, I failed to even get five reps on the first work set with 80 lbs, and last press workout I barely got 80x5x3. I was expecting another mini-stall, but ended up hitting all three sets.

Deadlift: 235x5

It wasn't supposed to be deadlift day today, but I'm going to miss my next two workouts, so I figured I'd get one more deadlift workout in before I left. I really cut back on the warm-up sets called for by the SS app, and I think that helped. This felt heavy, but no heavier than 230x5 did.

See you all in a week...