starting strength gym

Thread: Icky's smart ass training log

Default Icky's smart ass training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It was suggested i start a training log here, we'll see if i follow through with that. (I'm already tracking elsewhere, and i'm a lazy ass, so we'll just have to see.) no idea what the proper way to track this stuff is, so i'm just winging it.

Fyi i'm a chubby short girl that just started lifting about 5 weeks ago. i'm pretty pleased with the progress i've made so far and i'm really enjoying weight training.

Today I'm out of town for the turkey day long weekend. I have to say i'm pretty proud of myself, in the past that would have been an excuse to not do anything but eat huge quantities of food, but no, not this girl, I'm actually stepping out of my comfort zone and using the local gym. (It made me appreciate my home gym, I like being tucked around the corner from all the cardio machines. The gym here is one big open room, i felt naked. But, i'm weird so, whatev.)

Bench
    i won't go on forever about it, but the rack on the bench is different here and it felt awkward to me. I felt like i had to scoot further down the bench to clear the rack and i didn't like it.

65x5
    65x5
    75x5
    75x5
    80x3
    85x3
    85x2
    (This irritated me, i couldn't push today. bleh, i'm going back tomorrow morning to give it hell.)

Barbell Squat
    65x5
    95x5
    95x5
    105x5
    115x5
    115x5
    115x5
    125x5
    135x5 (pr for me, woot woot!)

Dumbbell split squat
    15x10
    15x10

Dumbell Side Bend
    25x10
    25x10
    25x10

I had planned on doing deadlifts too, but didn't. long story short, but looking stupid in the gym is an irrational fear of mine and it kept me from doing deadlifts today. ya, i suck.

I gather that you are not following the SS format for novices. Why? Have you read the book? BTW give us some stats, please. Gender, age, height, and weight. Thanks.
    Last edited by carson; 11-29-2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added

Welcome Lady!
    Great start!
    If you don't already have Starting Strength then I suggest you get a hard copy. I had it on my Nook and ended up buying a hard copy I could highlight things and keep notes. It was a bit overwhelming for me.

Definitely start running the novice program if you aren't already.

Welcome! Lots of great support here! I think you'll like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ikylilgrl View Post
    Barbell Squat
    65x5
    95x5
    95x5
    105x5
    115x5
    115x5
    115x5
    125x5
    135x5 (pr for me, woot woot!)
    Welcome!

One thing I was told in my first week of logging was to go easy on the squats warm-ups. Passing that bit of advice on to you, in case you want it: you probably don't need fives on every warm-up set. I'd do 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x3, 105x2, 115x1, 135x5x3 or something.

But your week five is stronger than my week 13, so what you're doing is clearly working. Happy lifting!