starting strength gym
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ango Bjango lifting heavy things

Default Ango Bjango lifting heavy things

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

First time on this forum having moved to NYC from Melbourne, Australia, and training at the local YMCA. I got into strength training at my local CrossFit (is that a bad word?) a few years ago, doing SS and Wendler, although stopped training a while back, lost a lot of weight and strength and am super keen to get strong.

The gym has octagonal plates and will not allow me to drop the weights so I've substituted Pendley Barbell Rows for PCs and am dropping the DLs a fast as possible without getting into trouble.

Eating three big meals a day and close to GOMAD.

Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 170
    Previous 1RMs - DL 440, BS 320, BP 210, PC 200, P 155

Thu 11.21.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 165
    Bench Press 3 x 5 @ 130
    Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 285

Sat 11.23.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 170
    Press 3 x 5 @ 80
    Power Clean 3 x 5 @ 130 - realised PCs weren't going to work in this gym

Mon 11.25.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 175
    Bench Press 3 x 5 @ 135
    Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 295

Wed 11.27.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 180
    Press 3 x 5 @ 85
    Pendley Barbell row 3 x 5 @ 95 - first time doing these. Feels weird but OK.

Sat 11.30.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 185
    Bench Press 3 x 5 @ 140
    Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 305

Mon 12.02.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 195
    Press 3 x 5 @ 95
    Pendley Barbell rows 3 x 5 @ 95

Thu 12.05.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 205
    Bench Press 3 x 5 @ 145
    Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 315
    Dips 2 x 5

Sat 12.07.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 215
    Press 3 x 5 @ 100
    Pendley Barbell row 3 x 5 105
    Pull-up 3 x 5

Backsquat is starting to slow but still have a few more pounds/sessions to go before form deteriorates. Press is getting hard and I'm starting to arch my back. Maybe have one or two more sessions before I stick on a weight and/or restart this lift. Rows feeling good and not so easy. I'll start weighing myself before each session and post this too.

I'd love any advice or feedback ladies and gentlemen. Feeling good to be part of such a great community.

Loving it!

Those octagonal plates are a real problem. They are nearly impossible to use for deadlifts. It's a shame that you don't have access to a gym that has round plates and a place for DL. Your tonnage is advanced so you may be reaching your max on the novice lifts. Crossfit has its place but also has its limits and some disadvantages. It has certainly awakened an interest in power lifting worldwide. Welcome to the board. BTW You already know this but man put on some weight.

Welcome to the area. One of the Starting Strength Coaches (Michael Wolf) works out of NYC. Maybe he can suggest a gym in town.

Thanks Carson. I feel like my strength has diminished a lot form a few years back so was thinking of doing SS until I reset my squat twice then move on to an intermediate program. I've put in a request for the gym to buy a pair of round 45 pounders which may help. Until I find more work, the $50 monthly fee at YMCA will have to do. I'm in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and I know there's a couple of powerlifting gyms not too far from me but the fees are out of my price range ATM.

Wed 12.11.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 215
    Bench Press 3 x 5 @ 150 - not sticking but beginning to slow
    Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 325
    Dips 3 x 6 @ Bodyweight

Fri 12.13.13
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 235lbs
    Press 3 x 5 @ 105lbs
    Pendley Barbell row 3 x 5 @ 115lbs
    Pull-up 7, 5, 4 @ bodyweight

Backsquat felt a little stronger today. Focused on pulling my elbows forward which felt "wrong" but I think made the lift easier. Press is getting slow in the last two reps of each set with a little bit of back arching. Will go up 5lbs next session and see how I go

Sun 12.15.13

Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 245
    Bench Press 3 x 5 @ 155
    Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 335
    Dips 8,8,7 @ bodyweight

Squats are slowing and I'm starting to feel wrecked after each set. I remember this feeling. Hard work but loving. I've been waiting around 90 seconds between each set so think I'll up it to 2 minutes.
    Bench Press became hard. Last rep nearly didn't get there but kept good form throughout.
    Deadlift still OK. Feels heavy and there may be a slight rounding of the lower back. Will have to film it next time to review.

I've put on some weight over the past few weeks and think I'm around 183lbs now. All that milk is paying off.

Tue 12.17.13

1k row
    DeFranco Agile 8 (no glute/piriformis myofacsial release) - http://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8

Work up to sets of
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 255lbs/115kgs
    Press 3 x 5 @ 110lbs/50kgs
    Pendley barbell row 3 x 5 @ 56kgs
    Pull-up 8, 6, 6 @ bodyweight

Feeling pretty sweet. Squats weren't as tough as expected and my wrist are more in line with more forearms when I focus. Nic's bringing my Oly-lifting shoes back from Australia in 10 days but I'm unsure whether I should use them as it's going to put me in a more upright position and I feel good with the back angle I'm using now. It looks like the picture on the cover of Starting Strength. What do you guys think?

Press is slow with a little arching but still getting the reps out.

The barbell row is becoming challenging now. It also tires out my lower back as well (which is very close to parallel to the floor). It's not a problem yet but I'm wondering if it could become one as the deadlifts get heavier.

4 more reps on the pull-ups. SWEET!

Thu 12.19.13

1k row
    DeFranco Agile 8 (no glute/piriformis myofascial release)

Work up to sets of
    Backsquat 3 x 5 @ 265lbs/120kgs
    Bench Press 3 x 5 @ 160lbs/72.5kgs
    Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 345lbs/157kgs
    Dips 10, 8, 8 @ bodyweight

Man, feeling friggin' strong and on FIRE today! Backsquat was a breeze and I'm closing in on my previous 3x5RM of 286lbs/130kg. All this without lifting shoes as well. I think that not Crossfitting and drinking a GOMAD is making the difference.

Bench Press as easy/difficult as it was last session. Sweet!

Deadlift not so good today. The reps felt strong but my lower back was tired and a little sore in the warmup. Feeling fine now but it may need a rest and is probably struggling from the three deads every two weeks. The problem I find with this lift is that even if form breaks down, I can usually make the lift. My back feels engaged with only a small amount of rounding but lower back is feeling hammered whereas I assume my glutes should be on fire. I think I'll skip the next deadlift session then nd back the weights off a little. What do you guys think?

Three more dips than last session.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    How often do you deadlift each week?

And, do you eat enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    What programming are you currently using? How much weight have you gained and are you willing to gaine 20 or 40, 60 pounds? Are you committed to blowing by those old limits( now meaningless) to get stronger?
    My opinion, If you get you squat bigger( + 400) your deadlift will go up in relative proportions.
    4 weeks on novice SS
    Week 1
    Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Squat, Press, Pendley Barbell Row (no cleaning in this YMCA)
    Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Week 2
    Squat, Press, Pendley Barbell Row
    Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Squat, Press, Pendley Barbell Row

So I DL thrice every two weeks. I've gained 13lbs (am at 183) and am willing to hit 200. Having said that, I've never been that heavy so will reevaluate when I get there and probably want to put on more. I'm eating like a MF (three EPIC Paleo meals and GOMAD) and resting way more than when I did SS/Wendler along w CF and Oly lifting. Recovery is feeling great!
    What do you think? Rest the DL for a week and then drop the numbers a little?
    Thanks so much for the reply!

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast