starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason's SS log

Default Jason's SS log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    About me: 29 y/o astrophysicist at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I have both a stage/professional name (Robert) and the name I slightly prefer to use (Jason). Anyone can use either to refer to me.

I have run SS a couple of times now, but I got discouraged by (a) a lack of progress and (b) grad school obligations interfering with training. Fortunately, the latter is now over, so I have a bit more time (it seems) to focus on lifting.

After re-reading portions of the squat and deadlift chapters, I restarted training, being relatively conservative.

12/29/13

Weight: ~ 190
    Squat: 105x3x5
    Overhead: 65x3x5
    Deadlift: 175x5

I have form issues (mostly on the squat and deadlift) that have unfortunately become ingrained as they were not corrected during previous SS runs. I will try to post form checks in the relevant fora.

Today was an okay day.

Squat: 125x3x5
    Bench: 90x3x5
    DL: 195x5

I have videos of most sets of squats and deadlifts. Bench seemed rather issue-free. I will upload them as soon as my phone decides to sync with google.

Hi Jason. I'm new here as well. Looks like you're off to a good start!

Good luck man, we seem to be starting in similar situations with the failed SS runs.

Thanks guys!

Today there was snow in Champaign-Urbana, so I warmed up with some snow shoveling.

Squat: 135x3x5. fairly easy
    OP: 75x3x5. Got off balance for one of the reps of the final set, so that rep was sort of a grind, but I got them all
    DL: 215x5. these felt fine, though the video I took seems like it may indicate I don't have sufficient thoracic extension. I'll post this soon.

Due to the snowpocalypse in the Midwest, I couldn't get to the gym today. So, I'm substituting shoveling out my apartment building's parking lot in lieu of today's session and will try to go tomorrow (if my car will start in the -17 F weather).

I thought I hated snow when I lived in Cambridge. Now I know what true loathing feels like.

Finally got back to it today, after several days of snow.

S: 145x3x5
    BP: 95x3x5
    DL:215x5.

I repeated 215 because I'm not very confident that I'm setting my upper back correctly. It feels like I'm squeezing my chest up, but when I look at the video, it looks like there's a curve in my upper back. I *think* this may be due to me bringing my shoulder blades back and them "poking out," but I'm not sure since I don't deadlift sans shirt. I'll post a video next time (I would have for today, but my camera decided to die.).

Hey man. Looks like you're making great progress. I also recently started on the starting strength program. Looks like we have similar starting points. I'll be following along with your log. Good luck!

Edit: Looking forward to the vids.

Thanks Rovert!

Today was a meh day.

Squat: 155x4x5
    OP : 85x5, 80x4, 80x5,
    PC: played around with form
    Chins: 2,1,1

Why 4 sets of squats, you ask? I looked at the video and it appeared that on at least a couple I wasn't getting good depth, so I did another set where I did marginally better on depth. Also, I reviewed the Press 2.0 video on here and decided I'd been pressing wrong (not enough hip motion), so I decided to both increase the weight as normal and work on the form. Last rep of first set at 85 went up barely. Came down to 80, proceeded to get 4, then 5. I think the bar got a bit too far in front of me and made me miss the last one. Also, reviewing the press video, I found that my elbows weren't where I thought they were. Shit.

I mucked around with the power clean for a bit today; I think I'm really going to have to work on the rack position. In the other iterations of SS that I did, I had a lot of trouble with this. It may just be that I have long forearms, but I simply have not been able to figure out a way to not load my palms when I rack the bar. Oh well.

And chins sucked since, well, they suck.

starting strength coach development program
    Jan 13, 2014

S: 165x3x5
    BP: 105x3x5
    D : 225x5

I'm still dealing with setup on the deadlift: my thoracic spine seems like it simply won't set as straight as I'd like. I'm going to give it another whirl next time I DL, and if I still can't do it, I'll post a video looking for help. In the meantime, I'll be doing Rip's spinal erector awareness exercises from the book.

Squats were fine, modulo setting my knees w/ the assistance of a TUBOW.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast