starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: meetch's log

Default meetch's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey ladies and gents,

Meetch here from Toronto, Canada, eh. I'm hesitant to put my real name out there (security) plus any brother/sister of the Iron, please call me Meetch, my good friends call me that.

Anyways, I have been reading the site for a while, have been training since 2012 when I started SS and now I compete. Currently training for the 2013 Toronto meet in June 2014 under the OPA (IPF affiliate). I compete in the 105kg class.

Current PRs:
    Squat 180kg
    Bench 115kg
    Deadlift 210kg
    Total 505kg

Looking to total at least 610kg to qualify for our Ontario Provincial meet and Nationals. I'm gunning to total the following in terms of the lifts:

Squat 225kg
    Bench 145kg
    Deadlift 250kg

Currently doing the Texas Method

M-> Squat, Bench, RDL 3x5
    W-> Press, Rows (Both 3x5), Alternate Dips/Chins
    F-> 3RM on Squat, Bench, Deadlift

Any/all suggestions are welcome as I'm still around 5 months out.

Thanks, eh!

12/30/13
    (Dropped the squat poundage as it had stalled quite a bit for me)

Squat 275lbs 3 x 5
    Bench 235lbs 3 x 5
    RDL 195lbs 3 x 5

12/31/13
    Press 170lbs aimed for 3 x 5; got 15 reps
    5, 4, 3, 3. Staying with that next week.

Rows 240lbs 3 x 5 straps

Training on the 2nd. Timing is screwed due to traveling for a College Volleyball tournament I'm officiating.

Hey, welcome to the logs. Nice to see another IPF koolaid drinker around here ;-)! What's your current height/weight? I'm also planning to lift in the 105kg class at USAPL raw nats this summer but since USAPL uses the old weight classes at local meets I'm floating around the bottom of the 110kg class. When are your nationals? Also, I thought CPU was the Canadian IPF affiliate, is OPA a regional fed under CPU?

My only suggestion is to shoot for squatting 227.5kg, not 225kg!

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Hey, welcome to the logs. Nice to see another IPF koolaid drinker around here ;-)! What's your current height/weight? I'm also planning to lift in the 105kg class at USAPL raw nats this summer but since USAPL uses the old weight classes at local meets I'm floating around the bottom of the 110kg class. When are your nationals? Also, I thought CPU was the Canadian IPF affiliate, is OPA a regional fed under CPU?

My only suggestion is to shoot for squatting 227.5kg, not 225kg!
    Haha, eh, depends who asks in terms of height. Former volleyball player so I like to hang onto as much height as possible. Right now, I'd say 6ft, 220-225lbs depending on how eating is going. I can get up to 230 when funds are fruitful and the voice in my head tells me to stop eating.

Nationals are in Ontario (OPA is the Provincial aka State federation) but I didn't total enough. I'm focused on helping my friend Daniel get gold in the 66kg class. He's an animal; if all goes well, I think he can total 600kg.

227.5 if all goes well and according to plans. Squats have been lagging lately. I opted out of the grip that Rip advocates and went with thumb around; I feel as though I have way more control with my thumb around.

Thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by meetch View Post
    Haha, eh, depends who asks in terms of height. Former volleyball player so I like to hang onto as much height as possible. Right now, I'd say 6ft, 220-225lbs depending on how eating is going. I can get up to 230 when funds are fruitful and the voice in my head tells me to stop eating.

Nationals are in Ontario (OPA is the Provincial aka State federation) but I didn't total enough. I'm focused on helping my friend Daniel get gold in the 66kg class. He's an animal; if all goes well, I think he can total 600kg.

227.5 if all goes well and according to plans. Squats have been lagging lately. I opted out of the grip that Rip advocates and went with thumb around; I feel as though I have way more control with my thumb around.

Thanks for your reply!
    Sounds like we have pretty similar builds, I'm about 6'1". I also switched to thumbs around on squats a long time ago and it feels much better. I think thumbs on top is good for learning how to keep your back tight when you start out but thumbs around feels more natural. I can get the bar a little lower with thumbs around too. Do you wear sleeves when you squat?

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Sounds like we have pretty similar builds, I'm about 6'1". I also switched to thumbs around on squats a long time ago and it feels much better. I think thumbs on top is good for learning how to keep your back tight when you start out but thumbs around feels more natural. I can get the bar a little lower with thumbs around too. Do you wear sleeves when you squat?
    Yup, sleeves, belt and wrist wraps. Thumb around feels like I have more control over the bar. Big difference.

I think im big meetch!1i!

Didn't get to update because I was in a rush to get ready for this tournament I was officiating at.

1/2/14
    Intensity Day
    Squat 325 x 3 (dropped the weight; this was easy)
    Bench 270 x1 (ugly single was a grind)
    Deadlift 395 x 3 (awesome)

Deadlift felt amazing. The new setup + hook grip have felt real good; looking forward to ripping 4 wheels off the floor this Friday.

Didn't have enough juice for the Bench. I was ZONKED. This week was screwed up, man. 270 will fly this week.

This coming week will be the first week I'll be able to train with a day off in between each session.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    I think im big meetch!1i!
    Stroup, I am the walrus.

Thanks for hitting me up on here.

starting strength coach development program
    larrrrrrryyyyyyyy hoooovaaah

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast