starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice (first time) lifter 43 male

Default Novice (first time) lifter 43 male

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    43 male 5'6" 195#. Have been very sedentary until I started some light running last year. I did run 3-5K's. I hate running. I really hate running.

OK folks, here we go. For the last 10 days or so I have been working on rereading the book and working on proper (as close as I can get) form. It's taken me a while to figure out what weights I should be starting with. I'm using the SS Warmup ap to set my warmup reps. Using Lose It ap to track my calories and protein grams. Last time I lifted weights was in the early 1990's so its been a while. I'm a hospital physician but that doesn't mean I'm not a willing student! So here goes -

Squat - 145# 3x5
    Press - 100# 3x5 (last rep was NOT good form)
    Deadlift - 195# 1x5 (I was trying 205 but only got 3 so dropped weight back and re-did the set).
    OK - did 3x5 barbell curls 75#..... Pure vanity. On the other lift day I am doing lat pulldowns. Seems to help this twinge I have in my shoulder joint.

So far, so good. Far from stellar numbers but there's room for improvement!

Doc, Have you done Bench Press yet? Welcome to a very fulfilling avocation.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Doc, Have you done Bench Press yet? Welcome to a very fulfilling avocation.
    I have. I have a surgically reparied right rotator cuff and labrum. It's honestly been giving me fits as I try to figure out what weight I can 3x5. There's a bit of bone on bone contact which sucks. The press has been a real revelation for me. I thought there was no way I could do any weight since my shoulder is so week but apparently in that plane of motion it's not as big an issue. Actually I've done 3 days total of press so far and my shoulder hurts less now than it did pre-program. I don't know why that is. I'm going to proceed with caution with the bench press.
    BTW - there are clearly muscles in my upper back that I've never deveoped before. Feels great. This beats the crap out of running. That said, still doing 3-4 5K's this summer w the kids (13 and 9)

Cute picture! Welcome to the board and lifting.

Love the shirt! If I can recommend something….

Take the time while the weights are light to get the form right even if it means that you spend 5-6 weeks before really moving the weights. If you are new to this style of lifting then taking the time to get the form right will help you in the long run when your form breaks down because the load is real heavy. I also encourage you to find a SS coach in your area even if it means you have to travel. You will learn a tremendous amount in a short time and will save you some pain.

Belt, lifting shoes, chalk, and a video camera to film your lifts are a must.

That being said welcome to the boards and I wish you the best!

Now the belt - not so much for spinal support as aid with the valsalva? I don't know when it would be appropriate to add that. Lifting shoes I do have - just got them. Chalk - haven't seen anyone using it at the YMCA gym. Not sure if I'd look like an idiot with the puny weights I'm throwing up.
    I'm with you on form. It's very important to me as a move away from proper form is a move toward injury. The fellow who suggested SS is a trainer but he lives in KY. Perhaps I can send him videos so he can correct from afar.

You can post vids to the SS coaches here and get professional feedback (and non-professional feedback from random hacks like me).

You can get away with skipping the chalk for a little bit, but you'll want it for deads soon. Keep DOH as long as possible: use chalk.

And by the way, this other brother can't deny...

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhilWV View Post
    Now the belt - not so much for spinal support as aid with the valsalva? I don't know when it would be appropriate to add that. Lifting shoes I do have - just got them. Chalk - haven't seen anyone using it at the YMCA gym. Not sure if I'd look like an idiot with the puny weights I'm throwing up.
    I'm with you on form. It's very important to me as a move away from proper form is a move toward injury. The fellow who suggested SS is a trainer but he lives in KY. Perhaps I can send him videos so he can correct from afar.
    Belts make me feel tighter when I squat. I do not use the belt to push against but rather to aid me in tightening up when I valsalva. I used the belt early and often and as I went up in weight I found that the point where I used the belt increased. When I started squatting I was at 150 and started belting up at 185. Now I am used to 375 and start belting up at 315. Hopefully that gives you some idea on when to use the belt.

Anyways, I have chatted enough in your log. Charge forth!

I confirm that you will need the chalk for heavier weights especially for DL. I would not be able to grip the bar at my work set without chalk.

starting strength coach development program
    I was a scrawny first-time lifter at age 45, my biggest mistake was waiting many months to get coaching. My bad squat form led to hip tendinitis that kept me from progressing for a year.

As a smart middle-aged professional I was over-confident in my ability to figure this stuff out on my own. I thought I didn't need a coach. But expertise in my field doesn't translate into lifting, getting a coach would have saved me much lost time and pain.

If I could go back in time, I'd tell my younger self to arrange a visit to some SS coach within driving distance after my first few weeks of attempting things on my own. And then maybe continuing remote coaching via youtube videos or monthly visits thereafter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast