starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luis is Serious!

Default Luis is Serious!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hey everybody. This is the first time I've decided to actually take my training serious. I've done 2 powerlifting meets, limped through a few injuries and well, I'm sick of being weak and I'm holding myself accountable. That's why I'm making this log. It's for me, but the rest of you can see it and point out things or simply tell me stfu and lift.
    weight: 211
    height: 6'0"

Last meet (sep 2013) - 100% RAW Federation
    Squat: 405
    Bench: 270
    Deadlift: 523

all time PRs:
    Squat: 435
    Bench: 275:
    Deadlift: 523

Background: played some sports in highschool, ex-Army (airborne!). None of that shit taught me barbell training (though there were a few knowledgeable people in Iraq who showed me a food deadlift). Later on, got certified as a personal trainer at NPTI (national personal training institute) and finally learned barbell training hands on. Currently studying Sports and Health Sciences and greedy online school (AMU). cannot learn barbell training online!

Biggest influences on my training philosophy: Not the army that's for sure. Mostly Tim Henriques , the director at NPTI in VA and a t-nation author and Coach Rip after I went to SSS. Hell it's NPTI that encouraged us to pickup his book. I also am a member of Team Force powerlifting coached by Tim Henriques and I want to earn my place by taking this shit serious and banging out some big lifts.

Goals:
    1) Stop lifting at the bottom of the 220 class and just PR every step of the weight gaining way.
    2) Become a Starting Strength coach and one day open a Starting Strength gym. I got tore up on squat coaching last time, but I'll be back! (and I'll change your mind Steve ). I needed it. I wasn't ready and since then I now coach others on proper barbell training technique.

I'm currently 2 months in the Juggernaut Method. Honestly, I have no great impression of most of these programs, I just lazily wanted to adopt a linear progression with a lot of volume at first while I gain weight since I am out of the Novice stage (I know I could do TM but squatting 2x weekly was tough on me). I changed the program a little to suit my needs, like lowering the deadlift volume.

Prior injuries:

Left knee beginning of 2013. Made me drop out of a PL meet in June. I'm guessing it was my "sit back" westside-like squat. Went to SSS, pain went away

latter half of 2012 had L4-L5 herniation. Mild I think. Ortho liked to hype it up and PTs were insistent I should not workout heavy anymore. I did the PT corrective exercises, just with much, much more weight. Then Bill Star Rehab.

I still have much to learn, but with a kick in the ass, let's see what I can do. I'll post videos along the way too, as I value all of your feedback.

Welcome aboard Luis! Strong deadlift. I am fan of Tim Henriques writings. He seems like a no nonsense kind of guy.
    Good luck!

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luke.conrad View Post
    Welcome aboard Luis! Strong deadlift. I am fan of Tim Henriques writings. He seems like a no nonsense kind of guy.
    Good luck!
    Thanks! The last meet I weighed in at 208 and I want to see what I can do if I put on some size.

Talking 1-26-14 Squat rep PR

Today was a rep out day. This high volume seems to pay off as I gain weight. I hate the feeling of this 'hypertropy' range but I think it is translating into quality mass gain.

Warmup -
    foam roll adductors, piriformis, IT band, quads
    hip series (Based on Cressey)
    hip flexion/ leg lower series based on FMS

Box Jumps -
    3 sets of 2 @ ~37"

Squat -
    205x5
    245x3
    285x2
    305x1
    325x14 PR

no assistance today, damn kids club closed and I had to grab my kids. Still happy about today's workout.

I weighed in at 212.5 today. 7 and half pounds away from my goal. Looks like I'll meet that goal in 2 months at this pace.

Tim Henriques found a funny pic of Coach Rip:

http://allaboutpowerlifting.com/for-...e-of-strength/

I e-know a guy who trains or trained at your gym. Haha

Frankie/Frank? Younger guy wears short shorts.

Luis is SRS

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    I e-know a guy who trains or trained at your gym. Haha

Frankie/Frank? Younger guy wears short shorts.

Luis is SRS
    Doesn't ring a bell but there are some cool people at my gym who want to get strong. Some for their respective sports. Generally a good crowd at Onelife , which is in Burke, VA. They can be a little annoying about asking us to deadlift in other areas of the gym or to silence our deadlifts on the eccentric portion, but we're not slamming it. It's simply heavy. Other than that, no real complaints about the place.

I bet I'd recognize this person If I saw him.

Default 02-02-14 Sunday BP & OHP

Deloaded last week.

BP
    5x5@200
    200x7 (2 shy of failure)

OHP
    5x5@120
    120x7 (2 shy of failure)

Can't remember what I did for assistance

Default 02-05-14 wed dl

Deadlift

box jumps ~40" 3x3