starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check.

The People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado

Default Squat Check.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here's a heavy set of five. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. http://youtu.be/r8LPtuO99mw?t=18s

Who's yelling at you?

First thing I noticed was your head position - you keep trying to pick your head up. Keep your head down, and keep driving your hips up. The other problem is that some of these reps are not being finished. Stand all the way up, hips AND knees. You start the first rep with partially flexed knees. You finish (and start subsequent reps) with your hips flexed. You also need to control your knees better at the bottom of the squat - they should remain relatively immobile, moving back very slightly (if at all) as you drive your hips up. The knees moving forward at the bottom may be related to you picking your head up, which is why I asked the question at the top.

Hey Steve,

The persons yelling at me are two friends: A lady who does not low bar squat (though is currently reading SS), and a guy who does low bar squat.

I never noticed the tendency to keep my head up, but now I can see it clearly.

I'll post another set on my next workday with a focus on full hip/knee extension and a steady cervical position/head down- we'll see if that fixes the knee issue, too.

Thanks for your feedback!

Hey Steve,

I recorded a couple of sets. They look better but not as good as I'd like. My final set felt best but I have no record of its existence. The next time I squat I'll again focus on the quality of my head/neck position and hip/knee extension at the top. I post this because I said I'd share the next session, not because I believe the issues are resolved. Though, If you have further suggestions I'd like to hear them. Regardless, I'll next post a set I feel representative of the suggestions you laid out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdTQKrPuHiQ

Thanks!

Narrow your stance. Let your knees move a little further forward early in the squat. Drive up with your hips. More hips. Also, eat more. Lots more.