starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Lvl2 seminar for me?

Default Is the Lvl2 seminar for me?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all, I see there's a SS Level 2 seminar coming to my area. Would this seminar be appropriate for me, given that I've only been lifting for 6 months and have no desire to coach? My primary motivation is to fix my lifts, most of which can kindly be described as "goofy-looking". I have no problem paying the sticker price for good instruction, but I'd hate to subject others to my unpracticed attempts at coaching.

Funny. I am writing a longer piece about this now. So, here is condensed version. You do not need to be a coach (or want to work as a coach) to attend a Level 2, although we will make you coach people. It helps you to learn the lifts. Don't worry, if you fuck up your coaching, there's a platform coach to bail you out. If you want the full exposure to this material, including the anatomy, the physics, and how it all ties together with the lifts, then the Level 2 is the place to get it. Your lifts will improve and your understanding of the lifts will improve. I would suggest that you give Starting Strength and Practical Programming another thorough reading before attending, however. It will help you keep up with the lectures.

I was going to start a thread about this, but this seems like a good place: I'm attending the Level 2 seminar in Maryland in a couple months. I'd like to prepare as thoroughly as I can, and I intend to make another diligent run through SS and the new PPST. There have been numerous book threads on the forums, but would the coaches recommend one book besides Rip's to help prepare for the test, or are SS & PPST sufficient? Since I only have 2 months, I have to focus my efforts. I'm asking as a non-professional, though I have helped a few people start the SS program.

I don't have any additional book recommendations for you outside of more general texts, such as Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy or Brooks, Fahey, and Baldwin's Exercise Physiology. While those are certainly of use as references, they obviously don't deal directly with barbell training. If you genuinely understand what is in BBT3 and PP3, you will be in good shape from a theory standpoint, especially if you want to earn the Starting Strength Coach Credential.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallEW View Post
    I was going to start a thread about this, but this seems like a good place: I'm attending the Level 2 seminar in Maryland in a couple months. I'd like to prepare as thoroughly as I can, and I intend to make another diligent run through SS and the new PPST. There have been numerous book threads on the forums, but would the coaches recommend one book besides Rip's to help prepare for the test, or are SS & PPST sufficient? Since I only have 2 months, I have to focus my efforts. I'm asking as a non-professional, though I have helped a few people start the SS program.
    If I may add - Make sure to be familiar with the two articles on here: Active Hip 2.0 and The Novice Effect as well. This will help.

Very well - thank you, Tom. I intend to make SS & PPST a major focus of my time until the seminar. I'll take note of the things I don't understand completely and find a way to get answers as needed.

The Starting Strength collection of coaches and resources amazes and inspires me. The SS Coach credential may be out of reach at this stage of my learning, but I'll give it everything I've got.

Oh Hell yes. Go to one and get your form fixed. You will be astounded how much better you will feel and recover from lifting heavy and hard. Who knows? It may even inspire to try harder and do better than you thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    If you want the full exposure to this material, including the anatomy, the physics, and how it all ties together with the lifts, then the Level 2 is the place to get it.
    Level 2 for London!

OP, I was in a similar position as you (~6months) and the full L2 seminar helped me immensely. I didn't intend on getting the SSC cert, but at the same time I wanted the exposure to all the material and to be able to coach my friends and family to the best of my abilities. I actually flew out to Texas because it fit my work/life schedule and I didn't want to wait until some point in 2014 for something closer (eg. NYC). We had Mark, Rob, Mike W, Stef B, Nick D... it was the best run and most informative and useful 2.5 days I've attended for an educational purpose.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Level 2 for London!
    Finding a gym large enough to hold the Level 2 in London is the tricky thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast