starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From CrossFit to SS (Novice program)

Default From CrossFit to SS (Novice program)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So here goes:

Have been doing CrossFit for about 2 years now. Currently an owner and coach at a local gym here in town. I had followed Wendlers 5/3/1 program for about 6 months (stopped about 9 months ago) and had gotten my lifts to as follows:

Deadlift - 405 (395 x 3)
    Bench press - 225
    Squat - 325
    Press - 165

After stopping strength programming and strictly following CrossFit programming, my lifts went down to:

Deadlift - 335
    Bench press - not sure but not what it was
    Squat - 195
    Press - 145

Here's my log since 1/27/14. This is my journey back to where I was then blowing past it:

Monday - 1/27/14
    Squat - 145 x 5 x 3
    Press - 75 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 185 x 5

After this first initial session I felt like the weight was TOO light so I amped it up a bit, based on the book and others advice on here (find a weight you can do 5 times until the bar speed starts slowing down)

Wednesday - 1/29/14
    Squat - 225 x 5 x 3
    Bench press - 155 x 5 x 3
    Power clean - 165 x 3 x 5
    (I added power cleans much sooner than any other novice because I feel comfortable doing them and feel like I can do them properly)

Friday - 1/31/14
    Squat - 235 x 5 x 3
    Press - 90 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 255 x 6
    Chin-ups - 15, 12, 11

Sunday - 2/2/14
    Squat - 240 x 5 x 3
    Bench press - 160 x 5 x 3
    Power cleans - 170 x 3 x 5
    Followed by a 10 minute AMRAP of: 2 muscle ups, 4 handstand push-ups, 8 kettle bell swings (70 lbs). Then another 5 minute partner AMRAP of 185lb squat cleans (roughly 25). It's hard to say "no" to your buddies when they ask you to workout.

Tuesday 2/4/14
    Squat - 245 x 5 x 3
    Press - 95 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 270 x 5
    Didn't feel fully recovered. I'm sure it was due to the extra work I put in Sunday.

Thursday - 2/6/14
    Squat - 250 x 5 x 3
    Bench press - 165 x 5 x 3
    Power cleans - 175 x 3 x 5
    Pull-ups - 17, 12, 10
    Followed up by another 15 minute partner AMRAP of: 4 power cleans, 115lb/Thrusters, 6 Toes to bar, 8 GHD sit-ups. Got around 7 complete rounds.

Saturday - 2/8/14
    Squat - 255 x 5 x 3
    Press - 100 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 280 x 5
    Chin-ups - 15,14, 11 (progress)
    Followed up by another 10 minute AMRAP of: 3 squat clean and jerks, 155lbs, 6 burpees over bar, 9 toes to bar. Finished 5 rounds.

Today - 2/10/14
    Squat - 260 x 5 x 3
    Bench press - 170 x 5 x 3
    Power cleans - 180 x 3 x 5
    Felt the bar speed start to slow on my last two sets of 5 on both squat and bench press. Power cleans are no problem. I'm sure its due to the extra work I've done BUT I had a full day of rest in between.

Here are my some of the latest videos I've taken. Feel free to offer advice/critique them. Please offer advice and critique my log as well.

Power cleans at 165 http://youtu.be/rKYUH9OEmdA
    Deadlift at 270 http://youtu.be/t53qapv1DLs
    Squat at 245 http://youtu.be/4x-dFFEJbiM

I'm no one to comment on anything but the DL. It came up easy for you but it looks like bounce lift rather than Deadlift.

Yup. 1 deadlift, 4 RDL's. Power cleans look pretty good. The squats could use a bit more knees out and more looking down.

No bounce and not sure what RDL is. Do you really think you could get 270 to bounce high enough to help? If anything I think it would come up and yank you back down. Just don't feel like wasting time with the weight on the ground but will upload next DL.

Thanks for the head down plug, I'll do my best to remember that next time. Coming from two years of high bar back squats.

Quote Originally Posted by noalajim View Post
    No bounce and not sure what RDL is. Do you really think you could get 270 to bounce high enough to help? If anything I think it would come up and yank you back down. Just don't feel like wasting time with the weight on the ground but will upload next DL.
    Why would it yank you back down if it gets upward momentum and you're pulling up on it?

Doesn't matter how much the bounce helps, the bounce helps. But I'm talking about deadlifts. Dead lifts. Dead. Lifts.

In other words, even with 0 bounce, these aren't deadlifts, except for the first one. And they're easier than real deadlifts. Stretch reflexes and all that.

In other words, in a deadlift, you pull the weight off the floor from a dead stop.

Between reps, you put it down, offload the weight, re-set, get tight, and pull.
    Last edited by Adam Skillin; 02-10-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Noalajim,

You did ask for comments. Don't be defensive. Take the advice or leave it. It's up to you.

Hmmmm interesting. I've always considered that resting if you let the weight set but I'll do it next time. How much time would you suggest having it set there? 2-3 seconds?

2-3 seconds is the upper limit. Should really only take 1 second to do a quick exchange of breath, get tight, and pull the next rep. Trust me, you won't feel rested at any point during the set.

Carson,

Not defensive just wanted to let you know that there was no bounce. I appreciate your input, seriously. It's hard to read others tone via forum.

Plus, coming from a CrossFit background, we're looking to get it done quickly but with correct form. I'm learning that this strength stuff is different.

Squat rests usually involve 90-120 seconds rest but I read that I'm supposed to be resting longer. Again, not used to this.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Mahogany. I'll do it Wednesday and post the results. 👍😃

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast