Week 5 Numbers

Squat 150 (lbs)
    Bench 141
    Dead 215
    Seated Press 96 (low basement)
    Power Clean 119

Here is video of the B work out from Week 5

http://youtu.be/V4x_qPafRXk

I know that my form needs work in all lifts and I am working on it. I have read the book and could definitely read it again. Future videos will have tighter editing, I just felt the need to get something out there.

I am loving the program and making the most of my fractional plates. I am going to milk every 0.5 pound gain out of this program I can no matter how long as it takes.

Regards

Joe

Here is the Log for SS Original Novice 10A workout

Squat 160 3x5
    Bench 145 3x5
    Dead 225 1x5 (PR)

Squat

I know I am coming forward on the squat most times but I think my depth is good. I am going to keep adding 2.5 lbs per session as long a I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYox8qRHQe0

Bench

I will continue to add 1 to 1.5 pounds to the bench. I am slowly narrowing my grip with each workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRCFrjKytU

Dead Lift

This is a PR for the deadlift. I have done this weight for 5 before but with a touch-and-go technique. The weight increments have been 7.5 and 5 lbs per session on this lift. I am now going to slow that down to 2.5 pound increases. Also. I used a rosin spray for grip and am still using the alternate grip. I know that has to change at some point, however I wont be able to make the change until I reset the lift or get a new bar. My bar does not have an aggresive grip pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKwTJFGKXDw

If anyone wishes to leave a first comment on any of the lifts or the video quality I would appreciate it.

Joe

Hi Joe! Welcome. It's a good idea to start logging early. You will get some good support here. About the videos- wear non-black clothing. Also, 3/4 rear views are helpful for squat and bench. Those plates get in the way. There is a sticky in the technique forum with suggestions how to film your sets. Good luck!

You might want to post a form check video in Technique or Choaches Q&A forum. I would suggest to go a bit less deep in your squat to prevent lumbar spine flexion at the bottom. But I'm a beginner, ask coaches.

As for bench: it seems that it's a bit too high. Not sure. Also, keep your butt in contact with the bench. And set up the arc before pressing, not during your reps. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by way View Post
    As for bench: it seems that it's a bit too high. Not sure. Also, keep your butt in contact with the bench. And set up the arc before pressing, not during your reps. Hope this helps.
    Thanks way and viola.

Way. What do you mean by too high on the bench? the bench itself or the hooks. The bench is set on the very first incline setting, it is still almost flat. I will work on setting up the arc and keeping my butt on the bench

Here is workout 11B

Squat 162.5lbs 3x5
    Press 98 3x5
    Power Cleans 125lbs 3x5

These are the power cleans. All 15 of them. I failed on one of the reps due to bad form and the fact I am nearing my PR weight of 135 for single. I will be increasing the weight again for the next workout anyway and try to improve on my form. I have edited out the 10 second delay between reps.

http://youtu.be/21JvBpvYR50
    Last edited by joeonroad; 02-22-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: removed bad video link

It seems that the bench is higher than what would be comfortable for you, but most likely I'm wrong here. You are the one to decide. Height of about 17-18 inches should be fine.

How tall are you? It does seem the bench is too high. On DL the old cue was to have eye gaze rather high to force ones head way up. That is no longer the case. Focus on a point 5-6 feet in front of you on the floor so that your head is relatively in line with your back. The black clothing does make it difficult to distinguish your movement on video.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    How tall are you? It does seem the bench is too high. On DL the old cue was to have eye gaze rather high to force ones head way up. That is no longer the case. Focus on a point 5-6 feet in front of you on the floor so that your head is relatively in line with your back. The black clothing does make it difficult to distinguish your movement on video.
    Carson, I am 6' 1" and 180lbs. The bench is 21" at the base and 25" at the head with the slight incline. I am going were light colored clothes from now on.

Below are the dead lifts from two days ago, a 5lb PR at 230lbs for 5 reps. I felt my lower back straining here and will lower the weight increases to focus on tight form

http://youtu.be/5SR6TNo4iAk

starting strength coach development program
    I am now at the end of an eight week cycle and at PR numbers across the board

Squat 3x5 170lbs
    Bench 3x5 148
    Dead 1x5 230
    Press 3x5 100
    Power Clean 5x3 125

I am going to continue to micro load the Bench Press and Press at 0.5 - 1.5.

The squat feels like it can continue at 2.5 increments for a little while yet.

Power cleans likely suffer from horrible for and will take a reset back to 115lbs

The I strained my lower back on deadlifts a 1x5 230lbs. Not bad strain but enough to only do a single at 232.5 lbs before stopping to avoid further problems. I think I need to do a form reset and build back up. Maybe go back to 180 and increase by 10-15 until I am back in the 230 range. Trying to nail my form on the way back up.

Here are squats at 170lbs. The reps seem to get better with each set. Still, I am doing some good mornings at times. For the camera, new light grey coloured sweatpants suitable for late night snack runs.

Any comments would be welcome

http://youtu.be/Lc6bPdlsiRk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast