starting strength gym

Thread: First Time Starting Strength Novice Log

Default First Time Starting Strength Novice Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My name is Kyran from UK as of today I'm 26, 6ft2 weigh approximately 87-90kg(fluctuates), bf% stands around 21-24%. (long limbs, chubby middle)

I have never strength trained before, the only sort of training that I have done in the past is in boxing, which I trained in for a year, but that was back in 2011. I went on to compete in local gyms but I gave it up when the real world caught up with me and I got a full time job.

Landing a desk job and not watching what I eat caused me to gain 10kg in those past few years. But now I want to do something about it

I've read starting strength and am constantly using it as a point of reference to make sure I am keeping correct form.

I started starting strength 1st february 2014 and am eating roughly 2800-3100 calories average daily.

My starting lifts were pretty low compared to what I read in other peoples logs, but I can only compete against myself and I wanted to get form right (in kilograms)

Sq 38
    OHP 31
    BP 35
    DL 38
    PC 32

As of today they are (3rd week in, seventh workout some jumped really high due to confidence in being able to lift heavier safely)

Sq 75
    OHP 37
    BP 43
    DL 80
    PC 38

I will be updating weekly
    Last edited by Kyran; 02-19-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Good increases. Don't worry about your weight. It's about right. Don't be surprised if you gain a bit. At 6'2" at increasing strength your fat will turn to muscle and you will probably gain weight as muscle weighs more than fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyran View Post
    My starting lifts were pretty low compared to what I read in other peoples logs, but I can only compete against myself and I wanted to get form right (in kilograms)

Sq 38
    OHP 31
    BP 35
    DL 38
    PC 32

As of today they are (3rd week in, seventh workout some jumped really high due to confidence in being able to lift heavier safely)

Sq 75
    OHP 37
    BP 43
    DL 80
    PC 38

I will be updating weekly
    I just did my 1st LP workout on Tue and can relate to low starting weights relative to other logs. Its encouraging to see that you made considerably jumps after getting accustomed to movements with a loaded barbell. I was kind of thinking that I just don't know what it feels like to move with weights on my body rather than being so weak. You have somewhat confirmed my theory. I might try to re-establish starting weights in future workouts.

End of Week 3 (ninth workout complete)

Sq 78kg
    OHP 40kg
    BP 45kg
    DL 84kg

(power cleans had to be combined with the Overhead Press because I'm moving house and was moving the squat rack)

Lost around 3kg since 1st february 2014. But I'm guessing this initial weight loss is occurring because I've gone from a sedentary activity level to training three times per week and will start to go back up once my body fully adapts

@carson Thanks for the input, I've browsed through your log and will try not to worry to much about weight gain if it does shoot back up

@JTC MN Good luck with your goals, I've looked through your log.
    Last edited by Kyran; 02-23-2014 at 09:16 AM.

So I'm moving house the new garage is 16x15ft the roof is pitched, 8ft at lowest height, and 12ft at highest point.

I was thinking of building my own little home gym, with a power rack (cage).

The floor is made up of concrete so i was thinking of layering it like this

-layer above concrete to stop any possible moisture coming up- http://www.screwfix.com/p/dmp-membra...ng_link_anchor
    -Perhaps laminate floor on top of it, not sure if its needed.
    -Than as the top layer, layering on gym mats (interlocking) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interlocking...ords=stall+mat

Will post pictures when completed. My log will still be updated weekly
    Last edited by Kyran; 02-24-2014 at 10:10 AM.

End of Week 4 very disappointing, I was ill for 4 of the 7 days in the week, only getting one workout in. Feeling better looking forward to next week

Sq 78kg
    OHP 41kg
    BP 45kg (didn't go up, but felt more comfortable in the movement, was done with better form)
    DL 84kg

Weight 89kg

starting strength coach development program
    Good to hear you're feeling better. Hit the weights hard next week.