starting strength gym
Page 1 of 141 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: With Winning in Mind

Default With Winning in Mind

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a new powerlifter with just a couple of meets under my belt. As of today, I am five weeks out from my next contest.

Weight class: 242

Competition PRs: Squat - 452, Bench - 295, Deadlift - 539

I've been making some excellent progress in my training since the USAPL American Open in December and am really excited to make a stronger showing at the next meet. I'm open to constructive criticism and suggestions as I continue to update this log.

Workout from 03/07/2014 - Volume Bench Day

1. Bench: 260 x 5 x 5

These felt very strong except for the last rep of sets four and five when I took my eyes off my spot on the ceiling and tried to look at the bar. I lost the groove and had to wrestle the bar back into position. It's very important to continue to focus on the right place, especially at the end of the set when you're tired.

2. Power snatch: 65 x 2, 85 x 2, 95 x 2, 115 x 2, 135 x 2

I'm still trying to learn the power snatch, so I'm going easy on the weight and really focusing on form. Other people at the gym gawk and whisper when I do these.

3. Dips: 40 x 5 x 5

4. Chin-ups: body weight x 3 x 14

Working on increasing the volume for chin-ups. Hoisting my 230-pound butt up there is hard work.

I also got my new belt in the mail from Best Belts yesterday. This thing is solid(ly purple).

Welcome, Vince. Looking forward to following your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Welcome, Vince. Looking forward to following your progress.
    Thanks, John.

03/09/2014 - Intensity Squat Day

1. Squats: 470 x 3 x 1

Squats were moderately difficult, probably because I started sloppy. I exploded off the bottom very hard on my first rep and was so surprised that I dropped my chest and ended up leaning forward the last half of the way up. This sapped my strength a bit for the last two reps. I still had a little bit of energy left over but I will not be disappointed when I start doing singles instead of triples next week as part of my meet taper. Five hundred is in sight. . .

2. Power cleans: 175 x 3 x 5

SS Coach Brodie Butland will be pleased that I am finally getting the hang of these and am not bending my arms early anymore.

3. Deadlifts: 490 x 3

Pretty easy. I just barely missed a 562 pull at my last meet while being sick, dehydrated, and sleep deprived. I'm going to nail it in five weeks.

Nice belt. Good luck at the meet

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Nice belt. Good luck at the meet
    Thank you!

03/11/2014 - Intensity Bench Day

1. Bench press: 295 x 1 x 4

I missed my last single, probably because I didn't rest much before that set. But I'm happy because I'm feeling a lot stronger than last week and am really nailing down my groove better. Switching to paused singles next week.

2. Press: 160 x 3 x 5

Slowly but surely increasing the weight

3. Barbell rows: 250 x 5 x 3

These are fun.

I've been training a few guys lately, getting them going on Starting Strength. After only a few weeks, they were pointing out the quarter-squats being done in the gym and shaking their heads in disgust. I couldn't be prouder.

Nice to see a new log, I'll be following along. We have pretty similar numbers -- I went 452/308/540 @ 242 at a meet last July and just did 474/308/562 @ 220 a month ago -- so I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress. What are your goals for your next meet? Are you gonna do raw nationals?

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Nice to see a new log, I'll be following along. We have pretty similar numbers -- I went 452/308/540 @ 242 at a meet last July and just did 474/308/562 @ 220 a month ago -- so I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress. What are your goals for your next meet? Are you gonna do raw nationals?
    Thanks! I will be definitely following your log, as well. My goals for the upcoming meet are to squat 517, bench 308, and deadlift 577. I'm really jonesin' for a 1400 total. What about you? Yes, I definitely plan on Raw Nationals. Are you going?

03/12/2014 - Volume Squat Day

1. Squats: 425 x 5 x5

Pretty challenging. I really made an extreme, conscious effort to keep my chest up but was losing some tightness on the last couple reps of sets four and five. I will not be too disappointed to drop down to 5 x 3 next week on volume day, as I start my meet taper.

2. Romanian deadlifts: 345 x 8 x 1

Easy.

Ready for bed now. . .

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Thanks! I will be definitely following your log, as well. My goals for the upcoming meet are to squat 517, bench 308, and deadlift 577. I'm really jonesin' for a 1400 total. What about you? Yes, I definitely plan on Raw Nationals. Are you going?
    Yep I'll be at raw nats. I actually live in Boulder about 45 minutes from Denver. I'm hoping for 1400 @ 205, which would qualify me for the Arnold. What weight class are you thinking for nationals, 231?

Based on that 425x5x5 squat >500lbs should be in the bag for sure!

Page 1 of 141 1231151101 ... LastLast