starting strength gym

Thread: KingPin - Chasing 1000+ total.

Default KingPin - Chasing 1000+ total.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Finished up my second cycle of Cube Method a few weeks ago. I had my second meet March 8th and at the end of it, came out with a 37lbs PR. 945lbs total.

(Also set some Mississippi State Records for APA: http://www.apa-wpa.com/MississippiMensRecords.htm Scroll to the bottom SHW.)

So now, I'm only 55lbs away from my overall goal of totaling 1000lbs before the end of the year. This is going to be tough, if not impossible as I'm going to cut the fat off myself too. I'll be loading up on protein and more protein to at least keep my current strength. Hopefully I can do both at the same time, shrink and gain.

I'm starting this thread to add my training so I can keep track of it and also allow Brandon too watch my progress.

I started last week and was able to get my heavy deadlifts in.

--

Squat 500 - Bench 135 - Deadlift 310 - 945 total

March 10th, 2014:

Warm ups/Preworkout

Heavy Deadlifts

Comp stance (1" deficit)

BarX3X10
    95X10
    135X5
    185X3
    75%X5X3

Block pulls - Two plates:

80%X3X3

Deficit Pulls:

70%X3X4

Lat Pulldowns:

140X4X12

Lilly Shrugs:

70X4X15

Oly Squats:

135X5X12

Crunches:

4X25

No planks.

--

Video:

Inspirational stuff going on here. I am looking forward to following your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Inspirational stuff going on here. I am looking forward to following your progress.
    Thank you.

Unless I'm responding to posts, I will most likely only post once per week in here. I do my workouts, video them, and then put them into one for critique by Brandon Lilly.

I hope to smash my current total PRs in my next meet, which I haven't decided on one yet. So, I hope to not disappoint.

So I lied, need options. haha

Well, I had planned to possibly do a meet on May 3rd but, my family (20 of us so far) decided to do a deep sea fishing trip. With this in mind, I can get a good full two cycles of Kingpin in (or more, depending on meets after that) before my next meet.

I feel this is actually "good" for myself. I can concentrate on my training and really put forth more effort. My hope is to hit above the 1000lbs total at my next meet. This should help me get past that, ALTHOUGH, I'm also trying to cut fat too. I see a bunch of smaller lifters (weight classes) squatting more than what I can. Somewhat discouraging but, also encouraging. I hope this means I can successfully drop the fat off and still gain strength in lifts. I've been working on eating a lot of protein (food and whey.. more food since I naturally have more of it.)

I don't have a date in mind for the goal weight I want to get to, I just want to get it off. I'm sure these first few months, I'll drop some good weight but, I understand it can take awhile to get to 300lbs. (My last meet, I was 347, yesterday, 339) I'm eating cleaner and I'm going to actually start walking three to four times a week. Even of it's 1/2 to a mile. (Have a 5K run with family tomorrow.. I'm sure I'll be limping since rep squats tonight. haha).

My end goal will be 275/85 or in that area. If I gain weight, I'd like for it to be muscle. So, I just thought about it... should I work on weight goal or BF goal? Weight will be for meets, BF for looking pretty. I'm not sure exactly how all of that works in the grand scheme... Anyone want to push me in the right direction? Aim for weight lose or BF lose?

Subscribed, good luck catching that 1000+ total. As well as Catching many fish in May. May 3rd is my birthday :P

Quote Originally Posted by tcul1972 View Post
    Subscribed, good luck catching that 1000+ total. As well as Catching many fish in May. May 3rd is my birthday :P
    Very cool. I appreciate it. I will hopefully get a lot of fish. Love that stuff fresh. Happy Birthday to you then... I'm sure I won't be on this board when I'm out there.

Default 90/95%! Not 100%!

Great week of training until I hit Heavy Bench then Rep Squats. Explained below.

Deadlifts:

1" Deficit - 200X8X3

Two Plate Block Pulls - 220X3X8

Two Plate Deficits - 190X5X6

Lat Pull Downs - 140X4X15

Lilly Shrugs - 70X4X15

Front Squats - 95X5X12

Crunches - 4X25

Planks - 0X0

Bench:

Comp Grip - 100X5X3

Close Grip - 110X2X3 110X2X2

Bench 1" Pause for 2 - 95X2 80X3 65X4

DB curls - 40X3X15

Tricep Pushdowns - 40X4X20

Lilly Shrugs - 70X3X12

Crunches - 4X25

Squats:

Comp Stance - 350X2X8 315X8

That's all, called it a night. I couldn't walk hardly, about threw up three times, and was dizzy as hell.

I messed up and forgot to lower my percentages off of 90/90% rather than my 100% (on the lifts, bench killed me and squats too). I REALLY hate I screwed that up and couldn't continue. Squats are my most favorite lift and I never miss doing them.. expect for that night. As of today, my hamstrings are still sore. The second set of 350X8, my hamstrings felt like they were pulled. Not in the sense of pulling a muscle but, stretched and it let me know. Still grinder them out. I tried going to 315 and did 8 reps but, I was done. I couldn't push my legs anymore.

Sorry Brandon for stopping like that but, I felt better to not injure my legs anymore than they felt and plus, I seas "gone". Sorry brother, will not happen again.

BBing:

Overheads - 55X3X12

DB curls - 45X3X12

Calf Raises - 180X3X15

Bent DB rows - 80X3X12

Tricep Pushdown: 45X3X12

Shrugs: 100X3X12

Cruches: 4X25

No editing in this video. So pissed off at myself, just threw it together. I talked with Brandon and stated that I will be only recording my last work set of each lift(s). That way my workouts will go from 3/3.5 hours to 2.5/3 (or less) hours.

Please be sure to fast forward through it too.

starting strength coach development program
    Last few weeks have sucked for working out. Maybe this week I can actually complete a full week.