starting strength gym

Thread: Well, that worked.

Default Well, that worked.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last year, I was 34 years old, 6 foot 2 and 190 lbs—I looked like a beanpole trying to shoplift a small, but ever-growing, watermelon. I’m a lawyer with small children, so I don’t really sleep a lot and I spend a lot of time at a desk. I rode my bike around a lot, but wasn’t active otherwise. I’d always been skinny with nagging back problems, but it was getting to the point I couldn’t pick up my toddler without fear of being laid out for a week. I felt tired and broken down and too young to feel that way.

Interested in building up my back, I ended up with a copy of SSBBT3, read it cover-to-cover, and put a beat up rack off Craigslist and a cheap (and so quickly-replaced) barbell set from Dick’s out in the shed. I started to squat just before Thanksgiving, 2013. I’ll admit that I’m NDTP. I still don’t sleep enough to recover after 48 hours, and there’s not enough lactaid on the planet for me to drink milk without becoming violently ill. To make up for it, I lift every third day (alternating 2 days one week and 3 days the next), make small jumps in weight, learned to make yogurt in 2-gallon batches, and eat a lot of…well…everything.

Just over 4 months, a reset on all the lifts, and one birthday later, and I brought my lifts up from not much more than the bar to what a lot of y’all seem to think is a good starting place (240 lb squat, 100 lb press, 145 lb bench, and 265 lb deadlift—just started power cleaning last week). Nothing to get excited about, but more than I ever thought I’d lift and things are still moving up.

More importantly, I haven’t had a back spasm since I started lifting. Not only do I no longer fear picking up my kids, they enjoy getting pressed up to the ceiling. I’ve got more energy and the wife’s happy with the effects, too (she started lifting last month). The belly is still there, but, since putting on a bit more than 30 lbs everywhere else, it’s a lot less objectionable. About the only downside is that I’ve had to get an all-new busine$$ wardrobe, as I couldn’t button the neck on any of my shirts or get my legs into my old trousers.

So, thanks, Rip.

Nothing to get excited about? Hell, man, I'm excited for you!

Yeah, I was playing it cool. I'm psyched as hell about this and really interested in seeing how far I can go.

Congrats on your progress. You should consider recording a training log here. You will get some good feedback, and it's a way for others to learn from your experience. Good luck.