• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today starts my second full week of SS.

3/30/14
    Squat: 180x5x3
    BP: 160x5x3
    DL: 265x5x1

So a little about myself, 35yo, 74" @ 208#.

If you're reading this log, then I truly appreciate the time invested in reading my progress. Training wise, I've just finished up 5x5 ladders with the 53# kettlebell and didn't want to shuck out $140 for the 63#. I already had the barbell set so that seemed like a good option.

I don't remember how I happened upon SS, but after I started reading the book, it all made sense and the simplicity of three movements that always went up was attractive. After the first couple sessions I was wondering, "where's the volume?", but had a Eureka moment! It's not about the volume! It's about putting more weight on the bar every. single. session.

I'm a former Army infantry officer so I've been generally fit all my life. I love deadlifting. During OIF1 my all time 5RM was 425. Don't recall bench numbers but I believe 5x225?

Anyway, glad to be here.

Welcome and thanks for your service. I don't know what "5 X 5 ladders with the 53# kettlebell" means but congratulations anyway.

Thanks! One ladder is 5 sets. First you do one rep, switch arms, then set the bell down. Short break. Then 2 reps, switch arms, 2 reps. So on and so forth. It's a way to increase volume as your strength and endurance increase. So for example, if you just finished 5x[1-5] with the 44# bell, and can only do 3 reps with the heavier bell, you might start with 3x[1-3] one week, then 4x[1-3], then 5x[1-3], then start adding the 4th and 5th rungs of the ladders. It works pretty well but isn't really exciting.

No, it doesn't seem exciting. I watch your progress on the prescribed lifts: Squat, Bench, Press, and Deadlift.

I appreciate that. I'll post form checks on Tuesday. My DL seems a bit lopsided compared to squats but its how the numbers came out.

Deadlift numbers for most people are quite a bit heavier than squats. My DL is 315 but my Squat is stuck on 195. Then again I'm nearly twice your age.

Did my WOD: called "move a pile of crushed rock from one part of the driveway to the other part" Repeat 11x, then rake out. Bonus points for having low tire pressure in the barrow, with some of the nuts and bolts loose so it kindof wanders as you're pushing it. The rep ends with a pseudo romanian power clean to dump rock over wide area.

Saturday's WOD: Barrow lift rotten maple to back of yard. FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH! Kick the knees out, chest up, DL a chunk into barrow, repeat.

4/1/14

Hit my numbers:
    Squats 190x5x3
    OHP 110x5x2, then 110x4, missed last rep.
    Deads 275x5x1

Now I was pissed at missing that last rep after getting the squats and deads, that I went back and got a third full set of 110x5. Does that count? Go up only 2.5# instead of 5# next session?

Pumped that the weights are going up better. I probalby had 2 more reps in the deads and a couple more in the squats as well. 200# next time baby!

Edit: form check thread here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=47900
    Last edited by HandPlaneSteve; 04-01-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: include link to form check

4/3/14

Up 10# in DL and squat, up 5 in BP. BP went up easy.

Squat 200x5x3, 5th rep on 3rd set went up slow
    BP 165x5x3, went up easy
    DL 285x5x1, tried both overhand grip and got 3 of 5 reps. Alternated for last two reps. Will need to work on grip strength, as that is most definitely going to be a limiting factor.

Is there a good shoulder stretch to limber up to get under the bar for squats? I have quite a hard time for the first 2 warmup sets, and it's quite painful. After that though, things stretch into place OK.

Followup form check: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=47900

starting strength coach development program
    Your workout on March 31 looks impressive.

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast