starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Likes It Raw

Default Lindsey Likes It Raw

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone! I'm not new to the forums here, but I fell off for a while from my previous log in the Starting Strength Training Logs forum. I've been lifting seriously for about a year now, and my first competition was an informal push/pull back in November (165-touch n go/290-sumo) which was also a charity event for the Special Olympics. My first full powerlifting meet is slated to be the USPA NC State Championship meet on June 14th. I'd like to put myself out there through posting to this log as well as training videos posted to my YouTube account (I've got an iPod tripod on the way via mail for that). I'm enticed by the smaller-community bond, support and camaraderie that exists among powerlifters, and I'm ready to become a part! I'm just a semi-shy girl from North Carolina who likes to lift heavy weights! Here is my workout from today:

Tuesday 4/22:

Squat:
    245x3x5

Paused Bench Press:
    130x6x3

Chin-ups:
    BWx9x4

Incline Calf Machine (plate loaded):
    270x16x5

Quote Originally Posted by Linds View Post
    iPod tripod
    iPod Tripod.

That is all.

Oh, and good luck with your meet. What numbers are you aiming for?

Welcome to the wonderful world of competitive lifting! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

What weight class are you going to be entering for your meet?

Welcome back Linds, I followed your log a little bit the last time you were logging. Superstrong.

Are you doing the USAPL State Meet on June 14th in Denver, NC? or the USPA Carolina Championship on June 7th in Hickory?

I actually considered doing both, lol.

I normally lift in the USAPL - and the State Meet is an excellent meet and very well run. I've done that one for the past 2 years. Jenn Thompson (meet director and state chair) is awesome and one of the best female powerlifters in the world.

I almost signed up for that USPA meet on June 14th, I actually live just outside Charlotte and work in Hickory. I know the Meet Director and State Chair, Steve, for that one to. Really nice guy, and the Metro center looks like it will be a pretty badass venue.

Because of a stupid vacation we already had planned before I knew the dates for either - I wont be able to lift in either one. If you are doing the USAPL, you should also consider the West Cary Fall Festival of Power, which is a USAPL meet held in Cary, NC, usually the first Saturday in November. That one is also pretty fun - and if I'm remembering correctly from your last log, that is close to where you are???

Good luck! Will you be doing any kind of tapering/peaking?

@PEBCAK Haha! Thanks; I would be happy with 295/175/315 in June.
    @MannyPrieto I will more than likely compete in the 165 lb. weight class. I weigh about 151 lbs first thing in the morning now, but I don't personally have any motivation to cut weight.
    @DRrice311 Hello again! I am planning on competing in the meet in Denver (I think I got the acronyms mixed up). I live in Raleigh so it will be a bit of a trip for me. I have heard (and seen) of Jennifer Thompson; I'm pretty excited that she will be there! Sorry you won't be able to make it. I should definitely make it to the November meet in Cary, especially since that's much closer to home. I haven't done much research on advanced programming to date, so the answer to your peaking/tapering question is, I'll kind of be winging it =)
    @King of the Jews Thanks!

Now to some workouts:

Wednesday 4/23:

Deadlift 275x2x5
    Press 85x6x3
    Squat 230x5x3
    RDL 135x8, 155x8x2
    Pull ups (close grip) BWx8x4

PR for reps on the deadlift, and the first time I've put RDLs in my workout. They were wearing on my grip if anything, at that point. Hate to say I may need straps to get the full benefit of this movement.

Monday 4/28:

Squat 225x5x3
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KONOQZ587FI
    Paused Bench 160x1, 155x1, 150x2, 135x4
    Chins BWx10x2
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XsXxXxJgMCo

I did some filming which was kind of awkward and definitely distracting. That iPod tripod wasn't everything I dreamed it'd be! But I'm coaching myself, so I figure need to at least see what my lifts look like.
    Last edited by Linds; 04-30-2014 at 02:10 AM.

nice squats - those looked really easy.

With the RDL's - are you going double overhand? They really ware my grip out as well, when I did them - I'd usually make it about half way through, then have to set the weight down and go mixed.

There are a few of us here that lift in the USAPL in the Carolina's. At the Battle of the Border, which was in Denver about a month ago, there were like 6-7 of us there all coaching and cheering for each other. I won't be at the State Meet, but I think a bunch of us might do the West Cary meet again.

I'd just like to point out how absurd it is for a woman to do 10 perfect chinups with no trouble at all. Were you a gymnast in a past life?

Welcome! (back?)

I usually do a bunch of the NC or SC USAPL meets so its always good to see fellow carolinians competing!

starting strength coach development program
    @King of the Jews Thanks! I didn't even realize how deep they were! In the last film I took (months ago), I was squatting heavier weights but they looked high. Since then I felt myself getting back to full ROM but didn't know how things were looking! I just have on some basic athletic shoes. I can't do Chucks anymore; my baby toes can't stand the stiff tightness of the canvas. I plan to invest in some ANIs soon.

@DRice311 The squats weren't quite as easy as they looked! I did notice that they looked a lot faster than they felt. The RDLs were double overhand--I'll try mixed grip and some heavier weight for lower reps next time. And that sounds awesome about the meets and everyone supporting each other. I look forward to meeting yall at some competitions!

@Mark Edward Thank you! I have never done gymnastics I have always been fascinated by it and other bodyweight strength feats. It's never too late to learn!

@Patrick Stroup Thanks, and yes I am "back"! I reckon I'll be seeing you at some meets in the future as well!

Wednesday 4/30:

Deadlift 255x6x3
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3mjqIP0tk
    Press 95x3x5
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3R_AyXIsNjc
    Squat 240x4, 240x3, 205x6
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N6V1O3khqv0
    (Note: I just realized these videos are pretty small and shitty looking on YouTube. Not exactly sure why that is.)

I actually trained abs this day, which shamefully is something I rarely if ever do. I am sore! Doing squats last is probably part of the reason why they kind of sucked today. I was going for 240x4x3; next time I'll just ask the guy doing 65lb barbell curls if I can squat in the (lone) squat rack.

Thursday 5/1:

Walking Lunges ~20 steps x4 w/ 45lb dumbells (3-4 min rest)
    Paused Bench 130x6x3, 115x8
    Pull ups (wide grip) BWx8x3

Nothing too notable about this day. I felt a little less energetic than on Wednesday. I'm really tired now, and am probably taking Friday off.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast