starting strength gym
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Curtzilla vs Iron Kong - A training log

Default Curtzilla vs Iron Kong - A training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been running SS since Christmas 2013, and feel that my lifts are finally getting to be respectable.

Looking back, I clearly started too heavy(don't do this), but have made some decent gains along the way, especially considering a lengthy de-load due to some significant back pain and subsequent rehab/physio.

Starting stats looked like this in late December (all in lbs):

Height: 5 foot 9ish
    Weight: 195lbs
    BF%: ehh 16% maybe? (used to be a 290lbs fatso, so 195 was great).

Right ACL replaced (likely cause of some imbalances resulting in the low back pain that required rehabbing)
    Angioplasty in early 2013.

Squat 225 x5
    Bench 185 x5
    Press 135 x5
    Clean 135 x5
    DL 225 x5

I'd previously 3/4 squatted more, and pulled 315 x5 from the floor, but wanted to ensure some LP and make sure I was hitting depth / using proper form so this is where I started.

The back tweak had me reset my Squat, Clean and DL all to 135 or less.
    Last edited by Curtzilla; 04-30-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added starting stats and health 'issues'

Woke up sleepy and sore. Still very much feeling Monday's training session in the gym, and last night's Kungfu training in the dojo.
    Seriously considered making today a 'light' squat day (a la Texas Method), and focus on Friday.

Got under the bar, said 'fuck it' and went heavy anyway.

Weight today: ~222lbs
    BF today: ? 20-22% maybe

Squat
    45 x 5 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    225 x 4
    275 x 3
    315 x 1
    355 x 5 x 3

Heavy. No question, it was heavy. Gulping as much air as I can between reps. Probably spend more time standing with the bar on my back between reps than I actually do squatting. May have actually felt better than 345 on Friday and 350 on Monday though strangely enough. Can't believe I hit these TO DEPTH with how I woke up this morning. Very happy with my 2nd Squat PR this week.

Press
    45 x5 x2
    65 x5
    135 x1
    165 x5 x3

Nearly bailed on my last rep, but I would not be denied again. (Failed 165 on Friday @165 for 3/5/4). 170 on Monday is going to be an absolute bitch to put in the air. It seems every time I add 5lbs to my PR on this, it takes 2-3 sessions to get the next one, if not a 10% deload and ramp back up. I really want to improve this lift, either way, very happy with another PR today.

Cleans
    135 x3
    145 x3
    175 x3 x4.666

Not my day for Power Cleans I suppose. This is by far still the newest lift to me, as I'd never done it at all before Dec 2013. First workset, I smashed the bar into my chest on my 2nd rep. Probably going to bruise as a result. Third set, clanged the bar off my lower knee. Hobbled around for a minute, applied some pressure to try and prevent a big goose egg. Fifth set, third rep, quads felt like they were full of cement. Lost my focus, lost the freakin' bar on the way up. 175lbs came crashing back down to earth with nothing impeding it. I got some looks, but humbly put my weights away, and cleaned up my chalk mess for today.

Plyo/Bench pushups
    10 / 9 / 8

HIIT on the stairmaster 20 mins (40 spm / 90 spm)

This boy is done!
    Last edited by Curtzilla; 04-30-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added current weight

Welcome, Curt. Lookin' pretty strong!

Impressive squats! Especially, for still squatting heavy 3 times a week.
    Keep up the strong work, but don't be afraid of a light day.

Thanks guys! Every time I finish my heavy worksets I tell myself "Ok, next time I'm gonna need to de-load a bit", but then I get under the bar and go for it anyway.

I've recently been contemplating making the jump to the Texas Method, especially considering several resets on my Press and Bench, but I really want to milk SS for everything I can, especially knowing that my DL can and will break 315 again, and not having reset squats other than for injury reasons.

Most frustrating part about bench is I feel that I'm built for benching! Wide shoulders, short arms, cement filled bones... Should translate to a good Bench I'd think. I'm thrilled to have added 45lbs to it since Christmas, I just feel really stagnant in the 225-230 range.

Friday will be better, Friday I'll get 235!

Feeling pretty beat up today.
    Last Thursday I got up, went for a brisk walk around the highschool track, and flipped a tractor tire around for some 'light' HIIT between laps. This week I stayed in bed.

I'll try and find some way to get up and move today though. Need to shed some of this milk induced gut. Never had ABz. Wouldnt mind seeing them someday.

Firstly, let me congratulate you on winning the log title competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtzilla View Post

Most frustrating part about bench is I feel that I'm built for benching! Wide shoulders, short arms, cement filled bones... Should translate to a good Bench I'd think. I'm thrilled to have added 45lbs to it since Christmas, I just feel really stagnant in the 225-230 range.
    I am in the same boat - I look like I could bench press a small car, but in reality my bench just sucks.

Keep going, you're smashing it

Have you moved to Advanced Novice yet?
    No reason to move to Texas Method until you give advanced novice a run.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Firstly, let me congratulate you on winning the log title competition.
    LOL! Thanks, I didn't realize there was a competition!

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Keep going, you're smashing it
    I'll certainly keep trying.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by luke.conrad View Post
    Have you moved to Advanced Novice yet?
    No reason to move to Texas Method until you give advanced novice a run.
    I believe so, yes, at least my somewhat modified version of it.

Until last week, I'd do 3-4 sets of chins 8-10 (bw only) on A days (bench / DL), and do Plyo/bench pushups on B days (Press / Cleans).

Last week I did the Chins on Monday, the Pushups on Wednesday, and finally added that arm work on Fridays.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast