• starting strength seminar august 2024
    37 years old
    6'2"
    260 lbs
    30% BF
    BMI 33

Program: SS novice (from PP)
    Diet: Overweight trainee diet (from PP)
    Supplements: MVI, Fish oil, 2x Protein shake (Iso 100), Creatine monohydrate 5g
    Start date: 6/1/14

This will be a digital record of my transformation from fat out of shape weakling to serviceable human. Getting back into lifting after a LONNG layoff. Starting off with ridiculously light weight, going for steady linear progression right now.

PMHx: Fighting a chronic right knee injury s/p 2 scopes, arthritis. Should hopefully not pose a problem moving forward.

Goals:
    Wt 210-220
    BF 15-20%
    Working weights: SQ 225 BP 225 P 135 DL 315 PC 225

First workout 6/2/14
    Squat 45x5x3
    Press 45x5x3
    Deadlift 95x5

We all have to start somewhere.
    Last edited by Backbone76; 06-04-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Welcome!

I was a fellow fatty who started with SS as well, best of luck. On the supplements side, I found adding BCAA and Beta-alanine helpful with recovery, especially as my calories got lower. Good info in nutrition forum here.

Welcome and good luck. I hope you get strong fast.

When you get strong 260 may not be too heavy. As you lift your body fat will turn into muscle. You may not need to loose a great deal because as you know muscle weighs more than fat. I lost 35 pounds before starting SS but I still had a 44 inch waist. At my present weight of 210-213 my waist has shrunk to 38" and my weight hasn't changed from the starting day until the present. A friend of mine who posts regularly here has gone from 6' 200 up to 260. He is really really really strong. So, who knows what you will weigh when you reach your peak. Just follow the program.

Your starting point is great IMO. It means you're doing things right, and not being a dumb-ass (like me) and starting too heavy. Because you're being smart(er than me), hopefully you'll suffer little in the way of setbacks, and crush those goals of yours! Welcome to SS, and LIFFFFFT!

Are you squatting? Or just pressing and DL?

Squatting is essential. It is THE backbone of the whole program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Welcome!

I was a fellow fatty who started with SS as well, best of luck. On the supplements side, I found adding BCAA and Beta-alanine helpful with recovery, especially as my calories got lower. Good info in nutrition forum here.
    Thank you very much for the welcome! Thank you for the advice as well--I ordered both of those online as GNC did not carry them (!!) The nutrition sticky thread was very informative-they seemed to recommend a great deal of supplements. If you don't mind me asking, what supplements do you currently take?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Paauwe View Post
    Welcome and good luck. I hope you get strong fast.
    Thank you Dave! Looking forward to the journey.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    When you get strong 260 may not be too heavy. As you lift your body fat will turn into muscle. You may not need to loose a great deal because as you know muscle weighs more than fat. I lost 35 pounds before starting SS but I still had a 44 inch waist. At my present weight of 210-213 my waist has shrunk to 38" and my weight hasn't changed from the starting day until the present. A friend of mine who posts regularly here has gone from 6' 200 up to 260. He is really really really strong. So, who knows what you will weigh when you reach your peak. Just follow the program.
    Well put. I tried to use my HS weight as a reference point for when I was in the best physical shape of my life, but I was not doing straight up barbell exercises back then and was definitely more lean. I really would like to be around 225 or heavier of solid muscle at some point--but trust me, right now I am 260 of pure fat, and I carry it right in the spare tire. Very unhealthy.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast