starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clegg's Training Log

Default Clegg's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been going a few months, figured I'd start a log.

current stats:

Height: 185 cm (tall and fairly lanky, makes for a good deadlift and a terrible bench)
    Weight: 87 kg (started at 79 kg)

Current Best Lifts (for 5 reps):
    Squat: 107.5 kg (resetting)
    Bench: 70 kg (resetting)
    Deadlift: 137.5 kg
    Press: 44 kg (resetting)
    Power Cleans: 55 kg (for 3 reps)

Upper body lifts have not been progressing as much as I like, press has barely gone up at all.

I've gained a fair amount fat (probably around 18-20% BF) since beginning so I'm attempting to recomp at around 3200 kcal a day (formerly was doing 3400 kcal). If this interferes too much with lift progression I'll start eating more again. Read To Be a Beast and setup my macros as 260/260/120 (p/c/f). It's more protein than I was eating before despite being fewer kcal, and I've moved my carbs to be more centered around workouts so I hope that helps.

I guess it helps to mention the reasons that I'm training. I play hockey (adult rec league, but I want to be better none-the-less) and would like to get stronger and more powerful for that, but looking good is also pretty important. As the season approaches I'll probably start doing some HIIT (as that's pretty much what a hockey game is).

Current program (changes were made at the recommendation of a strength coach):

A:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench/Press (alternating) 3x5
    Power Clean 5x3
    Chinups 3xF

B:
    Light Squat 3x5
    Rows 3x5
    Pull-ups 3xF

C:
    Squat 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Dips 3xF (just added this, going to a slightly wider grip on bench so I want to use dips to hit triceps a bit more)

Will be going AxBxCxx, though this may shift between MWF and TRS depending on what's going on in the week.

A coach also recommend I add in lighter sets of high reps on press after the work sets have been done. So might do a set or two of 10-12 at ~60%-70% work weight after my 3x5.

I'll start the actual log with tomorrow's workout.

Welcome to the party, Clegg!

With SS probably playing second fiddle to your primary sport, hockey, make sure you manage recovery properly. Though, at 24, you can do both to a high degree!

Most people here post in lb ... not sure if that's convenient for you (I do everything but lifting in metric, by the way).

SS due to its emphasis on squat and deadlifting is relatively light on upper body work. I try to supplement with as much weighted dips and chins as I can take (doing a linear progression on those at 3x5 reps) - my primary sport is Judo so upper body stuff is important for me. If you feel your bench/press is stalling, maybe more emphasis there will keep you moving (i.e. I dip & chin heavy after almost every workout).

Good luck!

I would be careful with adding dips (especially the weighted variety) as they can affect progress in the pressing movements. Go wild with chins though.

No weights, just BW. I added them in on the last day for that reason. If presses are suffering I will remove them, and maybe just do more chins on Friday (my stick arms could probably use it).

My gym uses kg plates so using metric is easier (they have lb plates but the bumpers are in kg and I don't feel like switching between the two for different lifts).

Also I am not currently playing hockey, had to move and won't be playing again until this fall.

Today's workout:

Squat
    102.5 kg x 3 x 5

Bench
    67.5 kg x 3 x 5

Deadlift
    140 kg x 1 x 5

Dips
    BW x 6,5

Deadlifts were heavy as all hell, I definitely rounded on the last rep. I'm going to try and hit it again next week with better form.

I stopped after 2 sets of dips since this is the first time I've added them in, and I was pretty worn out after deadlifts.

Deadlifts were heavy as all hell
    That's a good sign - you are doing them right!

Was busy last night so will be going T/R/S today.

The workout:

Squat
    105 kg x 3 x 5

Press
    40 kg x 5/5/7 (did AMRAP on last set)
    30 kg x 12

Power Clean
    57.5 kg x 5 x 3

Chin Ups
    BW x 6/6/5

Plan to go up to 42.5 kg on Press on Saturday, then hold there until I can hit 7-8 on the last set.

Also recorded Squats and a set of Power Cleans, I'll probably post em on the forum later.

Today's workout:

Squat
    82.5 kg x 3 x 5

Bench
    70 kg x 3 x 5

Rows
    67.5 kg x 3 x 5

Pull-Ups
    BW x 5/4/4

Good workout considering I didn't get a great night's sleep last night. Otherwise NTR.

Saturday's workout:

Squat
    107.5 kg x 3 x 5

Press
    42.5 kg x 5/5/6

Deadlift
    140 kg x 1 x 5

Deadlifts felt better, will add weight next week. Going to keep 42.5 kg for press and try and get more on the last set, I'll add weight after that.

starting strength coach development program
    Today's workout

Squat
    110 kg x 3 x 5

Bench
    72.5 kg x 3 x 5*

Power Cleans
    60 kg x 5 x 3

Chinups
    BW x 7/6/5

*The last reps were slow, on the last set the last rep was REALLY slow and I bridged a little.

Overall a great workout considering I only got 4 hours of sleep (woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep, it happens occasionally). Hit new PRs on literally every lift today and feeling really good about it. I may hold bench at 72.5 due to the whole bridging thing, we'll see.

P.S. FUCK YEAH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast