Current stats:
    5 ft 10
    205 lbs

squat 235x3x5
    press 90x3x5
    bench 147.5x3x5
    dl 265x5
    clean 115x5x3

Just switched over from stronglifts to starting strength a few workouts ago. Today I attempted cleans at 120lbs and was able to finally catch the bar correctly on my shoulders. I hurt something in my left shoulder last week at work while having to use a wrench at an extremely awkward angle to replace an led unit (up on a platform had to climb on the railing and lean out above the tracks and use my left arm to tighten the bolts while it was rotated at a weird angle). Lifts and bodyweight are increasing steadily with the exception of the clean (which I just started doing) and the press (which I still am figuring out the form taught in ssbbt3). Very happy and confident in the program thus far. I'll post back here next week when I hit a 250 squat and 275 deadlift.

Welcome to the forum - if you haven't see it already check out this Press 2.0 Video - and lots of other good stuff in the resource section!

I will check that video out when I get home from work. Had been doing strict press up until last workout.

I watched the press video and it helped a lot. I can't wait to get back to lifting tomorrow. I know the rest over the weekend (besides work) is a huge bonus to recovery but sometimes it seems like such a long time between friday and mondays sessions. I do have a question, since I'm switching over from a program that had the press and deadlift on workout b and the bench and bbrow(which I have replaced with cleans since starting strength) on workout a, should I move the cleans to the press workouts and deadlifts to the bench workouts, or keep the workouts the same as I've been doing them? I'm new at this so I'm not sure if there was a problem with deadlifts and presses in the same workout or if its fine.

Excellent, I'm an attempting lifter also. You'll do great.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPChuff View Post
    I watched the press video and it helped a lot. I can't wait to get back to lifting tomorrow. I know the rest over the weekend (besides work) is a huge bonus to recovery but sometimes it seems like such a long time between friday and mondays sessions. I do have a question, since I'm switching over from a program that had the press and deadlift on workout b and the bench and bbrow(which I have replaced with cleans since starting strength) on workout a, should I move the cleans to the press workouts and deadlifts to the bench workouts, or keep the workouts the same as I've been doing them? I'm new at this so I'm not sure if there was a problem with deadlifts and presses in the same workout or if its fine.
    I don't think it's a big deal. I would marginally prefer the bench/deadlift and press/clean combinations as deadlift is more intense for the back than clean and lying down on the bench beforehand ensures those muscles are nicely rested.

Thats what I was thinking, so I guess I will clean tomorrow and hopefully the shoulder cooperates so I can complete 120x3x5.

July 14th 2014 WORKOUT

Warmed up with some dead hangs from pullup bar, squat stretches, and shoulder dislocations.

SQUATS
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x3
    185x3
    215x2
    240x5x3

A couple of reps in the middle of final two sets hit parallel but needed to be an inch or so deeper. I fixed my bar position and can finally use the grip recommended in ssbbt3. All in all a good workout, hips came up quick a time or two but focused on chest up the next rep and it looked good.

PRESS
    45x5x2
    65x3
    92.5x5x3

Timing of the press in relation to the press still needs some work. Also a little bit of overextention here and there. Bar path was vertical and shrugged traps hard at the top. I had previously failed at this weight but today felt good, difficult 3rd set but good. Shoulder is pretty much back to normal after it got tweaked at work on july 2nd.

POWER CLEAN

65x5x2
    120x3x5

Need to work on the bar path a little bit but it's damn near vertical. Timing still a bit of an issue and elbows still getting used to the rack postition. Note to self is to avoid bar landing on throat/clavicle at all costs; that was not at all comfortable.

Overall this was a good session. Looking forward to the next one.

[/B]July 16th 2014 WORKOUT[/B]

SQUAT

45x5x2
    95x3
    135x3
    185x3
    215x2
    245x5x3

Depth was good on all reps. Kept upper back tightened better. Work weight felt heavy taking it out of the rack but not during the actual set. For the first time so far glutes are sore following workout.

BENCH

45x5x2
    95x3
    115x3
    150x3,150x5x2

Missed fourth rep of first work set. For some reason lost focus and grip loosened up, had to roll of shame it. Will repeat the weight next workout.

DEADLIFT

135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    270x5

work set felt really heavy. Maybe cutting last warmup set to a triple or double would help? Back stayed straight and lockout position felt solid.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes. With SSLP, by the time you get to DL, you are pretty warm. What worked for me was:

135x5
    185x2
    225x1

Use singles from 225 upwards, to get the feel of the heavier weights until the work set.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast