Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark's log - 54 yo, never lifted before

Default Mark's log - 54 yo, never lifted before

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

About me
    I'm a 54 yo guy in the middle of the UK, never lifted before 28th March this year - that's when I started SS. Did lots of running (to lose three stone) for a couple of years when I turned 50, hadn't moved a muscle for ten years before that though. Got up to half-marathon distance when in my 'running prime' and probably ran around 25 to 30 miles a week. Got fed up about a year ago and did nothing but walk the dog until a couple of months ago, then I decided to follow SS and try to get strong so bought a power rack and 110kg bar and weights set.

Got a couple of historic 'injuries' ... problem with left forearm due to tennis elbow but doing some light curls to overcome that. Also got bursitis/impingement in right shoulder; had cortisone for that about six months ago but still got a problem there.

These problems mean that currently bench is hampered by left forearm and right shoulder means I can't do any presses at all as it's just too painful. However, here's what I started with - you do this in pounds here, that right (my bar and set are in kg)?

First Lift - Starting on 28th May 2014
    Squat: 88
    Bench: 77
    Press: 66

Latest lift (11th July):
    Squat: 193 3x5
    Dead: 193 3x5 (didn't start deadlifting until 18th June)
    Bench: 127 3x5
    Press: 0 - not currently executing as shoulder too painful

feels as though there is some left in squat and dead, bench is getting pretty ragged though.

Training days are Mon, wed, Fri - feels ok in terms of recovery.

Probably not taking as much care around eating as I should I reckon but I'm drinking protein shakes +creatine am and pm 6 days out of 7.

Goals
    Looking to crack 100kg (220lbs) at squat and dead and just persevere with bench.

Looking for advice on warm-up sets (and time between them) as I'm just winging that at present, just doing what feels ok to warm me up and then doign working set so help with that gratefully rcvd.

No shoes and no belt - maybe I should invest in them?
    Hope you all can help when I hit the plateaus.
    Last edited by patch; 07-13-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Hi Mark,

Good to see another log from a fellow Brit. I write my log in kg rather than try and translate everything into pounds.

A couple of common questions: what are your height and weight? These help give a bit of perspective on how well you're progressing.

For warmups I think the book is pretty clear (you do have the book don't you?), but as an example, if I was squatting 193 lbs (87.5 kg) I would do:
    20 kg: 2 X 5
    40 kg: 1 X 5
    60 kg: 1 X 3
    75 kg: 1 X 2
    87.5 kg: 3 X 5
    You can try and get really precise calculating even jumps, but sticking to round numbers makes it easier when changing the plates. I take enough time on the warmups that I don't get out of breath and fatigued, but there's no need to wait around. I would however take a decent rest (perhaps three minutes at this stage) before the first working set though as you want to be as fresh as possible at that point.

Shoes make everything feel so much more stable. I'd get them ASAP. A belt is a lower priority until the squat goes up a bit more.

Welcome to the forum, Mark. I agree with bean counter on the shoes, definitely. In fact, I would also get the belt if finances allowed: weights are all relative and the belt will help you maintain tightness as the weight goes up. So if you are going to need the belt eventually, you may as well get the belt now. Also, there is a very useful app for calculating warm up sets for SSLP; you might want to look into it. Good luck and good progress!

Thanks for the welcome and the info guys. I have got the book, I'll go through it again to find moe info on the warm-up stuff.

Height and weight - 5' 8" and about 95kg.

I'll sort the belt, shoes and app too.

Thanks again!

Nice to see another UK lifter logging their progress. Has your weight changed much since you started? You probably don’t need to get any heavier to make progress at this stage. Just make sure you’re still getting plenty of protein. Good luck!

Mon, 14th July

Squats:

Warm-up as suggested by bean counter above:

Then 90 kg: 3 X 5

First set felt difficult, 3rd set felt a little easier.

Bench:

20kg: 3x5
    40kg: 2x3
    50kg: 1x3

Then attempted 60kg: 3x5 but failed on first rep of 2nd set ... form has felt ragged on bench for a couple of sessions now.

Deadlift:

50kg: 1x5
    60kg: 1x3
    70kg: 1x1
    90kg: 1x5

Curls (to try to increase strength in left forearm):

20kg: 3x5x2

Deadlift feels ok, squats more difficult and bench is failing ...

Next session, Weds 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    Mon, 14th July

Bench:

Then attempted 60kg: 3x5 but failed on first rep of 2nd set ... form has felt ragged on bench for a couple of sessions now.
    Did you get five reps on the first set? If so then try resting more between sets.

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Did you get five reps on the first set? If so then try resting more between sets.
    Missed this post ... yep, got 5 reps on first set. will try again today with same weight but rest for a few minutes betweens sets. will update in a couple of hours or so.

Wed, 16th July

Squats:
    92.5 kg: 3 X 5

Bench:
    60kg: 3x5

Struggled but got through 3 sets. Right shoulder (has impingement) felt and sounded like crashing the gears in a car.

Deadlift:
    50kg: 1x5
    60kg: 1x3
    70kg: 1x1
    80kg: 1x1
    92.5kg: 1x5

Curls (to try to increase strength in left forearm):
    20kg: 3x5x2

Also did 3x5 'Sitting chin ups'

Next session, Fri 18th.

Being more careful about protein intake now.

starting strength coach development program
    Mark, sorry to hear about the shoulder issue. I have had impingement issues, too, and found this chapter on rotator cuff anatomy and rehab helpful: http://www.irongarmx.net/Articles/7_...f_solution.pdf. I have been pretty religious about following the injury rehab protocol and my experience of the impingement and shoulder pain have improved significantly. Not sure if this will help with your symptoms, but you might give it a look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast