So, I went to the auto parts store today to pickup a jack and some jack stands to remove a tire from an old Bronco I just bought.

I go to the back of the store and pickup a kit containing the stands and new jack. It weighted about 60 pounds or so. I pick it up with one hand and schlep it over to the cashier.

The kid behind the counter is about 5'10" and weights about 150 pounds.

He sees me bring this over and insists that he help me take it out to my work truck as it is "so heavy." I pay, pick it up with one hand and walk out.

The young man follows me out for some reason. I get to my truck and throw it one handed up into the bed of the truck. He is just standing there staring at me like I just performed some kind of superhuman feat of strength. I say, "thanks," and drive off.

Now keep in mind I weight 208 pounds and stand 5'10". On a good day I am squatting in the low 300s and deadlifting right around 405 pounds. I am a slightly chubby 43 year old and in no way look impressive. My lifts won't impress anyone who actually trains.

The best thing about Starting Strength is that it allows me to do, what used to be in my 20s, completely normal physical labor without the fear of injury that plagues most guys my age. I am not competitive with my lifting and will probably never go to a powerlifting meet. But I do drag my ass like clockwork into the gym and squat at least twice a week, and just like church make sure I pull once a week. I also run a couple of mile twice a week as well, yeah I know the dreaded LSD cardio. I just like it.

Starting Strength is like having my very own superpower that I can turn on and off like clockwork.

It isn't that I feel so strong it's just that most people who don't train seem so weak in comparison. And the kicker is that it takes me all of about 2 hours a week of effort. A very small price to pay for what I get back.

For a guy with two busted vertebrae from a parachuting accident in the late 90s, a few concussions, malaria and dengue fever your system gave me the tools I needed to life a largely pain free life on my own terms.

One again, thanks Rip.