starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: belt buying advice - uk

Default belt buying advice - uk

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys,

So I think the time has come to buy a belt. I have done a search and seen that this has been discussed numerous times but as usual the UK doesn't seem to have the same level of choice as the US.

I want the belt for squatting and deadlifting, and am unsure whether a 4" belt will therefore be too wide? Unfortunately I can't seem to find a 3" belt in UK online retailers.

I don't know anyone who has one I can try out.

This one seems to be the best I can find: http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/belts...prod_1042.html

The other option would be a tapered one so its 2.5" at the front and 4" at the back. I'm aware the reasons that this isn't desired.

Stuck.

Dan

That one looks okay, but I bet it will take a lot of work to break it in. Don't get one that's narrow in the front. If you must, get one that will fit up higher, right under your pecs, and google George Leeman deadlifting. I've done that with my 4" and it works out okay, although I did just order a 3" belt which I'm hoping can be worn in a normal position and allow me to pull with good extension. But I'm both short and skinny (narrower below the ribcage than around it), which I think are factors. You might be fine pulling with the 4" in the normal position.

I have a very skinny natural waistline under my lower ribs, although since gaining some weight recently I have developed a bit of a layer of fat around my stomach and over my abdomen which has masked the problem.

Does the belt have to sit between your pelvis and your lower ribs or can it overlap either of them?

And would a fabric/velcro belt be a better choice than a leather buckled belt? eg: http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/belts...t/prod_25.html

Some other options: Strength shop double prong https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/power...ckle-belt.html or the lever belt (are these reliable?) https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/power...ever-belt.html

Thanks
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 08-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Go on USA ebay, you can find a good harbinger velcro for under £15. This is a good thing to start with, expecially if you have a naturally narrow waist. Real leather powerlifting style belts are a fucking pain and take a lot of getting used to.

If/when you do go for a "proper" belt, a pronged belt that has a quick release handle on it like the ZULU glove belts is MUCH more convenient!!

If you have a higher budget you could also go for a lever belt. But dont go for the strengthshop lever model, its shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Go on USA ebay, you can find a good harbinger velcro for under £15. This is a good thing to start with, expecially if you have a naturally narrow waist. Real leather powerlifting style belts are a fucking pain and take a lot of getting used to.

If/when you do go for a "proper" belt, a pronged belt that has a quick release handle on it like the ZULU glove belts is MUCH more convenient!!

If you have a higher budget you could also go for a lever belt. But dont go for the strengthshop lever model, its shit.
    No. Do not squat in a velcro belt. I know people who have had the velcro let go in the bottom of the squat, which is the wrong time to have a sudden change in support. If you want to be all cheap and ghetto, buy a heavy tapered belt and cut the extra width off the back. If you have access to US ebay you should be able to find a prong belt that can be shipped.

I think there is quite an excellent company in the UK- zulu, i think it's called.

Supposed to be top notch. Have a look at them. Or order a best belt. I am almost sure you will not regret it.

Get the 3 incher- deads will be more comfortable.

Thanks for the Zulu shop pointer. They do look like they have some good products unfortunately they are sold out on nearly all their items. Doesn't look like they do a 3" either although I've emailed them.

Buying a US belt isn't the issue its the cost of shipping.

For those who have a 4" belt does it overlap your ribs or sit under them? Does it overlap your pelvis?

I've had email back from Zulu belts they are focusing on selling the lever belts now and they only do 4" belts.

I'm on phone so can't easily post a direct link but could someone have a look at www.zuluglove.com and check out the lever belt they do I think its called the detonator lever. Would like some opinions of it?

Thanks

Yeah. Shipping is a little shit.

I paid 147 USD to get my best, belt, shipping and all.

starting strength coach development program
    There are a few guys from the UK who posted in this thread. If you read through it you'll find a few suggestions from our friends across the pond.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=161954423

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast