starting strength gym
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitten by the competition bug...let's go for 1300...

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Default Bitten by the competition bug...let's go for 1300...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Did my first powerlifting comp last Sunday...great experience, even though it went from 8am to 10:30pm. And I figure since I have this singlet and deadlift socks, I might as well do a few more and get some use out of them. So here goes.
    Last edited by Brodie Butland; 08-19-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Did my first powerlifting comp on Sunday...great experience, even though it went from 8am to 10:30pm. And I figure since I have this singlet and deadlift socks, I might as well do a few more and get some use out of them. So here goes.
    Brodie, bravo! I'll be following your progress. I am looking for the same number and have 40 lbs. to go to get there but they will be hard-won pounds for me. What did you total on Sunday?

Consigliere

Meet results - Aug. 10

Lead-up: Had to thread a needle, because I was about 235 lbs in April and wanted to compete as a 220, while still gaining strength. Apparently I overshot, because I weighed in at 211. Training-wise, I was making remarkable progress, but then had three different muscle strains that screeched it back...esp. on the deadlift. Sucks, but that's life. Still haven't fully resolved the psoas strain, but we're getting there--it's much better now than it was two months ago.

Results:

Squat:
    Attempt 1: 350 - 2W, 1R - I got excited and racked before the command
    Attempt 2: 370 - 3W
    Attempt 3: 402 - 3W. Highest I ever did in training was 375, but 370 felt so easy I thought I'd go for it. Might have left a few pounds on the table.

Video of third attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX077iT7yyw

Bench:
    Attempt 1: 245 - 2W, 1R
    Attempt 2: 270 - 3W
    Attempt 3: 292 - 3R. Got greedy on this one...should have gone for 281.

Video of second attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMahDgXxus8

Deadlift:

Backgrond: As mentioned above, was still fighting through a psoas strain, and it really fucked up my conventional deadlift. I hadn't been able to convention deadlift over 385 for a single in training for the previous month (in June I was lifting 405 for reps). So I played around with sumo style and, it turns out, it didn't bother me as much. So I made a gametime decision to sumo at the meet, because I figured at least the ceiling would be higher.

Attempt 1: 350 - 3W
    Attempt 2: 380 - 3W
    Attempt 3: 402 - 3W. Definitely left weight on the table here, which was unfortunate. But I really wanted to hit 400, so I didn't leave it to chance.

Video of third attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpAsi7u9b7U

1075 total (all of the lifts had a little extra on them...they used the metric system, so the weights in pounds were strange). Which all things considered, I was happy with...almost certainly would have had 1100 with smarter weight selection.

I consider that a good start. I would like to hit 1300 within two years.
    Last edited by Brodie Butland; 08-19-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Consigliere

8/12

Back off after meet

Beltless squat:
    300x3
    315x3

Pause bench
    225x3
    235x3

Sumo DL
    315x7

Consigliere

8/14

Still back-off...

3-0-3 squat
    275x4
    295x4

2-sec pause bench
    185x4
    205x4

Consigliere

8/18

Now back to the good part...

Squat
    300x4@7
    315x4@8
    335x4@9
    320x4@9

2-sec pause bench
    165x7 @7.5
    185x7 @8.5
    195x7 @9.5

Quite a change from doubles and singles leading up to the meeting...look forward to getting back into heavy 4's and supplemental 6/7's.

Nice job, Brodie! Can't believe the meet was that long. Lifted started for mine at 9:00 AM, and was completed by 12:30.

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Brodie, bravo! I'll be following your progress. I am looking for the same number and have 40 lbs. to go to get there but they will be hard-won pounds for me. What did you total on Sunday?
    Thanks. You're a lot closer than me...I've got 225 to go. I guess the real journey starts now.

Good news is, I have my form really dialed in at this point. This time I'll have to be more cognizant of recovery and try to avoid strains building up over time. That's really what killed my progress...letting manageable stuff get worse for too long. For example, for a couple months I thought I had bicep tendinitis or a shoulder problem (you may have noticed at the Lexington seminar...I had a lot of left arm and shoulder pain). It turns out it was a really bad tricep strain that I let get out of control.

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Nice job, Brodie! Can't believe the meet was that long. Lifted started for mine at 9:00 AM, and was completed by 12:30.
    It was supposed to be done at 5:00. But it was a 60-person meet, and six volunteers cancelled very shortly beforehand. The head honcho called in a few favors so they could have five there rather than cancel the meet entirely, but basically you had five volunteers to judge and set up the weights for each competitor. They did a great job with what they had, but they're human--and also have to do human things like use the bathroom and eat.

Deadlifting after being awake for 16 hours was interesting...

starting strength coach development program
    That 402 squat looked easy. During training, what did you do with 375 (sets x reps)?

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast