starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming Dips

Default Programming Dips

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I am an early intermediate, press twice a week and do weighted dips 5x5 once a week instead of benching (I don't bench currently because of shoulder/elbow issues). I have progressed smoothly to 290 lbs (bodyweight 220lbs plus 70 lbs) on the dips, increasing 4.4lbs every week. But I am extremely close to failure on my 4th & 5th reps in the last few sets on 5x5 now. So my question is how to proceed. I could think of three approaches:
    1. Keep increasing by 4.4 lbs, reducing reps/sets as necessary (similar to you Kiss programme progression)
    2. Switch to 2.2lbs weekly increases before I start failing reps
    3. Switch to 2 times a week, VD/ID type programming and try to maintain 4.4lbs increases on ID

Thank you in advance
    Arian

In my experience, Dips, PullUps, and most DB exercises do not progress with the same predictability and consistency that barbells do. When I program these exercises for clients, we always work within a rep range. 4-6, 6-8, 8-10. Etc. I'll usually progress them when the majority of their sets are hitting the upper limits of the range. But I don't wait until all the reps are. So if I programmed 4x6-8 on Dips, I'd progress when the client go 2x8 with the given weight and the other two were at least 6. Make sense?

What is the set range for?

In the one lift per day template most assistance is done for 3-5 sets of 10-12 reps. I now understand the rep range but what's the set range for?

I don't understand your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    When I program these exercises for clients, we always work within a rep range. 4-6, 6-8, 8-10. Etc. I'll usually progress them when the majority of their sets are hitting the upper limits of the range. But I don't wait until all the reps are. So if I programmed 4x6-8 on Dips, I'd progress when the client go 2x8 with the given weight and the other two were at least 6. Make sense?
    I was wondering why is there a range for sets too. Why not say do 5x10-12?

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Because depending on the person and the program, the volume of work will vary for a multitude of potential reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Because depending on the person and the program, the volume of work will vary for a multitude of potential reasons.

I see. How can you tell if volume is too much?

Quad,

Do you own PPST3?

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, in the one lift per day template's paragraph the recommendation for DB bench/press and triceps is 3-5x10-12. Just wanted to know how do I determine how many sets I should do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast