starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October Iron Fest - A Starting Strength Event

Default October Iron Fest - A Starting Strength Event

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    On Saturday, October 25, eight gyms across the US and Canada will hold strengthlifting meets, collectively called October Iron Fest – A Starting Strength Event. Competitors will have three attempts to establish their one repetition maximums in the squat, press, and deadlift. Each meet will have its own winners, but the results from all the meets will also be combined and the best lifters announced. Each best lifter wins a spot at a Starting Strength Seminar. Not only will people be competing within their local venues, but with the other lifters throughout North America. The participating gyms are shown on the Iron Fest Competition Map.

The only supportive equipment that will be permitted are belts, wrist wraps, and knee sleeves. Weightlifting singlets will not be required. No commands will be given to the lifters. The attempt starts as soon as the bar leaves the rack or the ground and the judges will not participate in any of the lifts. All squats need to be walked out, squatted below parallel, and walked back in without any help from the spotters if they are to be successful. Instead of the bench press, the press will be the contested upper body lift. All deadlifts will be pulled conventionally, with the hands placed outside of the legs. View Complete Rules

Each meet is being run by a Starting Strength Coach and many of the gyms participating are Starting Strength gyms. Sign-ups are being handled individually at each of the gyms and can be found at the relevant links within the Competition Map. Come out, compete, and set some personal records at this unique event.

• October Iron Fest Event Discussion
    • Locations & Sign-Up
    • Rules

****Links removed since the event is expired*****
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 09-10-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added another meet

I wish I could show my support by participating yet my UK location precludes this.

But - bravo to You All for including the overhead press, requiring squats to be walked out and back in and for stipulating conventional deadlifts. I hope this event is successful and becomes a frequent happening.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Iron Fest Competion Map
    Typos jump out at me - I can't let one go unnoticed. Might want to fix that one seeing as it's on your website's home page.

This is an incredible idea. I will most definitely be competing at Crystal Coast Strength and Conditioning. This meet will be only one week before the USAPL event, but priorities are priorities.

Awesome idea and awesome prize! I will already be competing that day in the USAPL Georgia and Southern States Championship or I would've definitely attended this event in Atlanta. I look forward to seeing the results. Good luck to the competitors.

Awesome. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fest Rules
    Athletes who do not weigh within the limits of the class in which they entered the competition are permitted to compete in the weight class appropriate to their weight at weigh-in, unless qualifying total requirements prevent this accommodation.
    Are there qualifying lift requirements to compete in this? If so, I missed where it mentioned them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fest Rules
    Both must be constructed of normal commercially available materials, and absolutely cannot be supportive in any way
    Where do things like Under Armour fall in this? I know some federations don't allow it.

Is anyone else having issues getting to the PDF for Crystal Coast S&C? It might just be my network, but I can't open it to save my life.

Sounds great. Wish their was a location near me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Are there qualifying lift requirements to compete in this? If so, I missed where it mentioned them.
    No qualifying totals. That was put in there by Rip to handle possible contingencies in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Where do things like Under Armour fall in this? I know some federations don't allow it.
    Do Under Armour shorts add pounds to a lift, or restrict hip flexion? I am asking in all honesty because I don't wear them. I know some feds don't like them, but unless the answer to first question is "yes," they will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Gotcher View Post
    Is anyone else having issues getting to the PDF for Crystal Coast S&C? It might just be my network, but I can't open it to save my life.
    I checked it a few days ago and it was fine, but I just clicked now and it looks like there is a problem with the gillianmounsey.com domain. I will get in touch with Mac.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post

Do Under Armour shorts add pounds to a lift, or restrict hip flexion? I am asking in all honesty because I don't wear them. I know some feds don't like them, but unless the answer to first question is "yes," they will be fine.
    I don't like them for lift meets myself but they are designed for support and compression in field and court sports. Therefore any restriction to hip flexion would be detrimental. They do allow people with bad hips or groin injuries comfort enough to lift as the minor compression seems to help inflammatory pain and I have found them helpful to continue training when my hips were achy.
    I would not call them an advantage, the only downside is similar appearance to briefs and this could prompt some PIA inspections.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast