starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM and LP Split, Plus conditioning

Default TM and LP Split, Plus conditioning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy

My squats and DL are at about their LP limit but Bench and Press and still moving nicely. Would it be OK to put My squats and DL into a TM program and keep going with the LP for pressing as I feel I've still got a ways to go before hitting the wall there?

Also, what kind of conditioning is recommended with TM. PP3 recommends that the TM program is not to be mixed with other sports due to recovery, but I'd like to do some form of conditioning. Preferably HIIT for the time efficiency. What would be a good mix?

FYI: I'm 43 and approx 28% BF. I'm looking to trim that down with more sensible eating than in the past.

cheers
    Damo

Question 1: Yes, squats and pulls can go to TM programming while Bench/Press maintain AB novice rotation. No problem there.

Question 2: I equate it to this: "I want to lose weight, but I don't want to stop eating ice cream. Can you please give me a weight loss program that includes daily consumption of ice cream." That being said, do your HIIT conditioning on recovery day and Saturdays. Just pick something that doesn't make you sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    .......Question 2: I equate it to this: "I want to lose weight, but I don't want to stop eating ice cream. Can you please give me a weight loss program that includes daily consumption of ice cream." That being said, do your HIIT conditioning on recovery day and Saturdays. Just pick something that doesn't make you sore.
    That isn't too far from the truth. But hot chips are my preferred poison.

It was always my intention to get some reasonable strength, and then get fit. I'm afraid to say it but I originally started SS as preparation for moving into cross-fit. I know better now. I don't have a sport, so I figured I'd continue into intermediate programming, but would like to improve my endurance. I've cleaned the diet up a lot and am slowly getting into better shape re BF.

I actually do want to improve my general fitness. So if I remain "Unsore" after HIIT can I assume it wont interfere with strength gains. Would 20-30 mins of jogging pose any kind of problem once in a while?

Let me be very clear.......I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with someone incorporating some conditioning, even a lot of conditioning into their program. I don't even have a problem if you want to do Crossfit. Hell, I just got done with 40 mins of high inclined treadmill walking.

My job is not to determine your goals for you.

My point is that Texas Method + High Volume Conditioning is a bad combo in most cases. I've talked about this at length in this forum as well as in PPST3. I think a split routine or a HLM template is better mixed with conditioning work. Just my opinion.

Let me be very clear.......I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with someone incorporating some conditioning, even a lot of conditioning into their program. I don't even have a problem if you want to do Crossfit. Hell, I just got done with 40 mins of high inclined treadmill walking.

My job is not to determine your goals for you.

My point is that Texas Method + High Volume Conditioning is a bad combo in most cases. I've talked about this at length in this forum as well as in PPST3. I think a split routine or a HLM template is better mixed with conditioning work. Just my opinion.

Andy, I just thought you'd like to know that the Tapatalk preview of this last post emphatically stated "Let me be clear... I have abs."

OK. Point made...Twice :-)

Thanks for this recommendation. Just read up about HLM on your website, (coz I'm at work without my book), and really like the "Make the Plates rattle" idea. So would we treat the M and L workouts like a Dynamic Effort workout and try and maximise bar speed for all reps?

I'm definitely a "Type A". You got a spread sheet for this stuff? I'm going to have to trash my 20 week TM one now dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    Andy, I just thought you'd like to know that the Tapatalk preview of this last post emphatically stated "Let me be clear... I have abs."
    Let me be clear.......I used to have abs.

Explain to me what the fuck tapatalk is? I'm kind of a techno-idiot

Quote Originally Posted by OzDamo View Post
    OK. Point made...Twice :-)

Thanks for this recommendation. Just read up about HLM on your website, (coz I'm at work without my book), and really like the "Make the Plates rattle" idea. So would we treat the M and L workouts like a Dynamic Effort workout and try and maximise bar speed for all reps?

I'm definitely a "Type A". You got a spread sheet for this stuff? I'm going to have to trash my 20 week TM one now dammit.
    I"m allergic to spreadsheets. I have no idea how to make Excel work. I have a separate system for record keeping for my clients. I like to scribble things down on blank sheets of typing paper. If I'm out of typing paper, then I'll just tear sheets out of a legal pad. If I'm out of legal pads I'll just use the back of an envelope from my utility bill from a few months ago. I don't even staple the loose papers or use paper clips. When I fill up each sheets, I dog ear the corners and make the pages stick together or just fold them over each other. Sometimes they come apart in my filing cabinet and get all mixed up with other people's training logs. I like to scratch things out and re-write them and make illegible notes in all the margins. Sometimes I do the workouts in three colums, but columns aren't really straight. They kind of all flow to the right and my handwriting gets all bunched up and messy. Then I record other workouts anywhere on the paper where there is some blank white space. It's usually all out of order. Most of the entries are dated, but not all. I also record workouts in blue ink, black ink, sharpies, dry erase markers, and high lighters.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Let me be clear.......I used to have abs.

Explain to me what the fuck tapatalk is? I'm kind of a techno-idiot
    It is an app that makes this forum usable on a phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast